Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    Max & jMax
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max & jMax
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I'm having a discussion with someone in Europe about electronic music. Naturally, I'm proud of the advances in the field made in Detroit, my hometown, but the European boasts that everyone uses software originally developed at IRCAM, the giant French institute for electronic and avant-garde music.

In particular, he points to Max and jMax (which is available to download at SourceForge.) The IRCAM page also mentions Orchidée, but I confess that I have never heard of any of these apps.

I'm not really all that knowledgable on synthesizer software, but I do know people who are: members of The MUG!

So my questions to you are:
1.) Are these important and useful applications?
2.) Do you use them?
3.) Do Detroit musicians in general use them?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
It appears from some research that Max and jMax are outdated and have not been further developed for some years. A successor, MAX/MSP is used as developmental environment and basis for other software and plugins that are used in commercial products, so in that regard they are important and useful, but probably not as a regular performance tool. Orchidée appears to be a notational tool to create scores from various sources, electronic or natural.
I do occasionally have contact with some electronic musicians and if I remember to do so, I'll inquire about their knowledge or use of these.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx, Chuck. I did some investigation of my own and found that Max was adapted in the popular DAW Ableton. Most of the musicians at the recent Movement festival downtown use Ableton Live.

In the argument, my position was that France is squandering millions of € on the IRCAM complex which has produced only esoteric music (e.g., Répons by Boulez) that few enjoy. The European pointed out that Max and jMax were both written at IRCAM, and they were influential in popular music programs.

My response was that since Douglas Engelbart invented the mouse, windows, and menus, the Pentagon was, by such thinking, responsible for ProTools 9.

The argument ended a week ago.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post