Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    looking for other Mac-based recordists
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for other Mac-based recordists
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
I'm a professional level musician and composer, work with DP and a variety of plug-ins, high end mics and other recording tools. Any other folks out there who would like to share information, music, etc?

Posts: 26 | Location: Wyandotte, MI | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say I'm where you are, but that's my goal. I'm in the process of getting some equipment soon. Glad to see another music lover join the club Smile

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Q
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world...where it's cold and dark....

Been a longtime Mac and Music guy with my band Sweet Crystal.

Here's a look at my current home studio:

http://homepage.mac.com/nightcrier/PhotoAlbum12.html

Would be glad to discuss all things Mac & music
Marq "Q" Speck

PS:
Here's a list of my current gear:

Keyboards: KORG Triton Extreme; KARMA Workstation w/Expansion Boards; M3R; WavestationSR; O5/RW; Trinity TR-Rack; Hammond XK-1 Organ with Leslie 770; Roland D50; D70; GeneralMusic Turbo S2 Workstation; NORD Lead 2X; Alesis Micron; DMPro; Ensoniq ESQ-M, Mirage; Moog MiniMoog-D; Akai S2800s Sampler; Yamaha TG33, TX7

Software Synths: Spectrasonics Trilogy, StylusRMX & Stylus Classic; Arturia Moog Modular; Native Instruments B4, Pro-53, FX7; GForce MiniMonsta; EW/QL Symphonic Edition Gold

Computers: Apple Dual 1.2Ghz G4 w/1.2Gb Ram; Apple Dual 1.42Ghz G4 w/1.5 GB Ram

Audio I/O: Mark Of The Unicorn PCI-424 Hard Disk System (3 interfaces); Digidesign DIGI002r Audio System; Aardvarck AardSync II

Software: MOTU Digital Performer 5.1.3; Digidesign ProTools 7.4le; IK Amplitude & T-Racks EQ; PSP Vintage Warmer; Steinberg ReCycle 2; Antares Auto-Tune; Metric Halo Channel Strip; Celemony MelodyneUno & Cre8; Various Digidesign, Waves & Third Party Plug-Ins

Reaching The World, One Song At A Time™

Posts: 281 | Location: Canton, MI | Registered: March 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Q,

What would be an inexpensive software package for midi sequencing for the Mac?

I'm not ready to spend a lot of money on newbie learning tools.

Thanks.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Q,

When I click to start the slideshow on http://homepage.mac.com/nightcrier/PhotoAlbum12.html , I get

We're sorry
but we can't find the HomePage you've requested. It's possible that:
· The address was entered incorrectly. Check your spelling and try again.
· The .Mac member of this name has either created a page and removed it or has never published a HomePage.
· There is no .Mac member of this name. If you'd like this member name for yourself, sign up for a .Mac account right now and have your own HomePage in minutes.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Slideshow is working OK for me

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Wilson
posted Hide Post
No problem here as well.

Posts: 484 | Location: Novi, MI | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Well, it seems that noscript works quite well in FireFox. Add yet another exception for ths! Page not found is a msleading diagnosti cmessage!

quote:
When I click to start the slideshow on http://homepage.mac.com/nightcrier/PhotoAlbum12.html , I get

Jedi Knight
Picture of Q
posted Hide Post
James:
Have you looked at Garage Band's midi capability? It's not as robust as more expensive software but it can get you going.
Q

quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
Q,

What would be an inexpensive software package for midi sequencing for the Mac?

I'm not ready to spend a lot of money on newbie learning tools.

Thanks.

Posts: 281 | Location: Canton, MI | Registered: March 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Q,

Yes, every time I try Garage Band it really get's me going. I have yet to clearly comprehend the interface.

Thanks.

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Jim - You've probably already tried Apple's GarageBand support, but just in case, look here:

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#garageband

A few free videos here;
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=106

More from quick web search:
http://homerecording.about.com/od/garagebandtutorials/ss/getting_started.htm

http://www.applesource.com.au/software/soa/Learn-to-roc...819,339289932,00.htm

Looks to me like one would need to purchase or locate a book to really get anywhere as a beginner. Try your public library for starters.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Q:...Here's a look at my current home studio:

Ha! I thought you said you were professional level?! Get real! Smile

MAN! That is a great setup you've got, Marq! (Do we have a smiley face for envy?) I'm looking into getting the Melodyne and a workstation to learn/start writing on. I'd love to have something like the Open Labs' NeKo but with a Mac engine instead. A good mic and pre would be next, of course. I'll be there hopefully soonSmile

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Q
posted Hide Post
Melodyne is very cool but a bear to learn - I've had it since it came out (2 versions, Uno and Cre8) and I just did a project where the whole actually worked like it was supposed to. Had to buy a DVD tutorial to get my head around the right way for the apps to talk to it. I'm never satisfied with gear - always buying, selling, trading, lusting...
but it keeps me young.
Q