Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    You (Tube) Asked for It!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You (Tube) Asked for It!
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
At another thread, Calvin asked to see the music video I made using the Screen Capture Movie feature of Snow Leonard. I demurred, because my first attempt wasn't very good, and the music was a march for band. (Having attended many MUG meetings I have the impression that there aren't that many fans of military marches in the group.)

But I just figured out how to bypass the tejus' importation of a sound file into the screen capture movie, a difficult process that Ms. Hunter made such a kind effort to explain. All I did was go to Radio Hut and purchase a shorty digital fiberoptic cable, and I ran that from the Digital Out port of my Mac to the Digital In port, and viola the movie recorded the same sound that was playing in my notation software. Better yet, there was no compression (until, of course, YouTube stepped on it).

The video took me longer to upload than to create. That screen capture feature of QuickTime X really works well, and the five-minute movie only weighs 47 MB.

The video is of my old (2005) jazz piece, A Sharkskin Serenade.

I promise not to bother y'all with notices of my subsequent videos.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Thanks Keith.

I know very little about music but it was interesting to see the notes while the song was played. I gave me a better appreciation of the ability to read music. Also the tune itself was enjoyable enough to listen to.

I got another view of the creativity of the Mac and what can be done with it.

Now ... that did not hurt did it? Smile

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1722 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I was pleased with finally being able to post a screen-capture video of my music at YouTube, but
it so happens that a professional composer in England, Peter Moore, had the very same idea.

Only, he used a professional video editing application, Sony Vegas Pro-9, which lists for $700, on a computer he built himself, and he posted his music video on the same day I posted mine! His music video can be seen here.

Just my luck! I get one good idea, and immediately I'm completely blown out of the water!

Back to the drawing board.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I feel somewhat embarrassed at touting my poor work here among the professionals, but at another thread, I was flummoxed because neither YouTube nor any other site would take my slide-show music video because it was too large.

Following Terry's observation about the unnecessary size, I saved it as MPEG-4 instead of a QuickTime Movie, and it became a tenth the MBs with scant loss in quality.

YouTube still rejected it because it was over ten minutes, but I did get it accepted at Blip.TV.

Be forewarned, however, that the piece is not jazz(y). Instead, it's descriptive classical music written for concert band. It has never been performed, although I was once told that a community band in Pennsylvania was interested in it, but they took one look at the music (and decided that it was too difficult, I guess) and turned it down.

Since the guy in England outdid me with the presentation of his score using a mix of screens in Sony Vegas Pro-9, I reverted to simply making a slide show in ol' iMovie 5.0.2.

I notice that people don't advertise their Mac-created products here, so I feel sheepish about doing so with my amateur creation, as if it were unethical, but after eleven days, I've only received 23 hits, and when I told Calvin about the previous video (see above), I immediately received over 30 plays, so the lure of fame and fortune (or at least some plays) overwhelms my ethics.
http://blip.tv/file/896113/

At present, I am attempting to create videos of the scrolling sheet music and inserting photos using QT 7, as per the instructions of Chita Hunter, but that is proving to be the most difficult computer task I've done since I used DOS.

Another amateur Beethoven (in North Carolina) I know made a pretty fair slide show to his music (using a recording of a live performance) using a Windows slide-show app, and it took him far less time than my struggle with a crashing iMovie 5.0.2 (which runs only in Rosetta), so I was thinking about purchasing Final Cut Express, where I can mix video.

But does Final Cut Express solve the problem I have with iMovie where, once the full-screen 1920 x 1080 movie is imported, it can never be expanded back to its original large size without going weak and fuzzy?