Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Music SIG    Youtube question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youtube question
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Is it possible to download a youtube video, then extract ONLY the audio? Would like to do this with a posted very rare recording of a classical guitar artist done 60 or 70 years ago. (Artist died mid-1960's) The item is posted with a few still shots as the "video." Performance is extraordinary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTcSIo5pavQ

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 1867 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
After downloading the mp4 file, open it with Quicktime Player.

File > Export ...
Format: Audio Only
Export

The resulting file is audio only .m4a

Posts: 1854 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Don't you need some program to download the video from YouTube?

Posts: 2109 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I have Flash Video/Youtube Downloader 3.6.0 addon in Firefox. Using this, the page Mary Jo referenced has a Download button.

flash video downloader 3.6.0

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Here's what I see using the Firefox addon

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I don't have any addons in Firefox. Where do you get that type of thing and how do you install?

Posts: 2109 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
You can also download YouTube videos while in Safari, assuming that you are running Lion. Nothing to install.

While the YouTube video is playing - go to the Menu/Window/Activity. The Activity window will open. View the right column, and you'll spot a large file in MB that is constantly changing. That's the video file. Option-Click the file, and it will begin to download the file.

Posts: 683 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Donna,

Add-ons for Firefox

Tools > Add-ons
Get Add-ons

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Here's another excellent YouTube downloader which works with Safari:

<deturl.com>

Download it and follow the instructions. It enables downloading in several formats.

Posts: 218 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Here's how Macworld did it with iTunes.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1352 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Flash Video downloader for Youtube:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-...ader-youtube/?src=ss
========
Here's something else I added to FF, but haven't used it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-...nsions/?sort=hotness

Posts: 1867 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I used Jim Cutler's method. HOWEVER, QT Player v10 doesn't have the Export feature. I happen to have QT 7 (for which I have Pro registration), and it has the Export feature. No mp3. Had to use aiff. Lots of other choices I don't understand, so went with the default.
MONSTER file: 142.2 MB. Movie is only 15.2. I think I chose a high sample rate.
Fiddled around with settings, used mono 16 bit sample, it's down to 35.6 MB.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
FlashVideoConverter goes to this site for download. Any comments? (I didn't download yet)

http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/fvd-suite/

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
OK, Here's a different web download problem.

http://www.bach-digital.de/zoo...+-+Sarabande&lang=en

(Sorry, but the link actually works.)
PROBLEM: This site has very hi-res scans of early Bach manuscripts. Their help page says they can be downloaded with the usual Right-button "download" (Control-click on image). But instead it brings up some choices for Flash settings. I managed to get a screen shot, but would prefer a download.
- Any other suggestions?
(The Youtube FF addon doesn't show up for this page)

And thanks to all for the great ideas for the Youtube question.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo, the info on the help page may be outdated. As far as I know, there is no way to actually download Zoomify images. Screen captures are probably the only way to save the images. Did some googling, and found nothing encouraging.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Posts: 3510 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Click on the red link at the very bottom that says "Back to Source". Control-click on the one you want. Then you will see a menu where you can download as DFG Viewer the page(s) you want. It looks like that will enable you to print a full page of each.