Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    Backup disc warning question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backup disc warning question
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I have a 4TB hard drive I'm using for my time machine backups. Drive Genius is warning me that there is a possible hardware error. I've run Apple's disk utility program and it has not found anything wrong.I've also run the disk repair feature in drive genius. Time Machine seems to be backing up with no apparent issues. Should I ignore the warning or is there something I can do to find the source of the warning. I'm running OX Mojave with the latest version of Drive Genius. I started to get the warnings even before I updated to Mojave. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 825 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
If Drive Genius repair feature didn't find anything, I would reach out to their support team for advice.

What brand and model HD are you using? How old is the HD?

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Seagate 4TB backup plus HD that was bought in January of 2017, so not that old. I reformatted it before I used it to make sure it was compatible.

Posts: 825 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Check with the fine folks at ProSoft about this issue. I recall someone having similar issues and it being a "false negative" that was fixed after an update.

Let us know what you find out.

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Chatted with one of their reps and Drive Genius in not supported in Mojave yet, so will wait and see what happens after they come out with an update. Thanks for your help, Dave.

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Glad to offer whatever support I can. Hopefully you mentioned that this was happening before the Mojave upgrade.

Dave McGuire

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Nina,

Glad to see that you are backing up but I would suggest this.

Drives are relatively cheap so I would say that you get a second 4 TB drive. Alternate your backups between them. That way if one of the drives takes a dive and stops functioning, you would have a second chance drive you could recover from.

Otherwise, you would only have one possible backup to recover from and that is good but not optimal.

My 2 cents for what it may be worth.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post