Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    Film Conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Film Conversion
 Login/Register

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted
I have a lot of ancient (late '40s - late '50s) 16mm film that I should transfer to digital format before it's too late. I know there are a bunch of companies out of state that I could ship it to, but does anyone know of a local company that I could physically take it to? I can do my own editing, titling, etc. once it's in digital format, but I don't have the equipment to digitize it.

It's mostly old family films, but I also have footage of the Andrea Doria on her maiden voyage and some shot in pre-Castro Havana.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3775 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
If you can't find anyone locally you can also just set up the screen and projector and a Video Camera on a tripod and video it and then take it into something like Adobe Premiere for editing. I have done that in the past with 8MM and Super 8.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
One of the issues with a simple projector/screen/camera setup is that the 24fps frame rate of motion picture projection is different from the 30 (actually 29.97) fps rate used for video. The difference will result in flicker and horizontal bars drifting through the video. Some higher-end cameras have a "clear scan" feature to minimize this. Professional video transfer projectors have a shutter/pulldown mechanism to achieve the frame rate conversion. Best to have a properly equipped facility do this if quality is a concern. I don't know of any remaining video transfer facilities locally that will do 16mm. I believe Troy Video was still doing 8mm, maybe they do 16 as well.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Golly Chuck I did forget about that. Good Point. I think I had a camera that adjusted for the FPS when I used it.

Internet search reveals a firm in New Baltimore, MI - That seems to do this type of thing. Check em out.

http://www.homevideostudio.com...r8-film-transfer.cfm

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Phyl, Here's a company in White Lake that you might investigate.

http://www.homevideostudio.com...r8-film-transfer.cfm

Another service, with price list - located New Jersey
https://www.fotobridge.com/movie-film-conversion/

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post