Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    Translation Services?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Translation Services?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted
Hello, I was wondering who people are using for translation services? I am a designer that creates printed materials mostly in InDesign and I had a guy that I used for translations (English to Spanish) but he no longer does it. Is there a decent reputable company that I should look into (with no minimum fees)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Natalie

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I was doing an ad for Gable ventilation and my translation service translated that as "wind blowing through the subway". I had the issue of who proofs the translator?

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
haha that is a problem-finding a good translator.

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Google translation provided this for"Gable ventilation." Ventilación de gable

HOWEVER, the translator should be fluent in language idioms. Online sites may not be trustworthy in that regard. I did a search and several services showed up in this area, but you'd need to vet for authentic background as well as price. Natalie - Did your former translator recommend someone?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Try contacting the language department at Wayne University or U of M.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
...the translator should be fluent in language idioms.

I used to work on training and corporate programs that also needed Spanish or French audio. The problem I often saw/heard (with my limited foreign language skills) was that the content was mostly "transliterated"- simply word-for-word substitutions, with little, if any actual translation of meaning, context or idiomatic expression. Also, many expressions or terms in English required a paragraph's worth of wording in other languages, while some simply needed a slightly different phrase in the second language that conveyed meaning better than the exact substitution of words. Some of the translators we used provided useful changes, especially when they could hear the track, rather than just working from a script.
The other consideration is dialect and grammar appropriate to the intended audience. "Spanish" Spanish is not the same as Mexican or Columbian Spanish, and we all know that "French" French is not like Quebecois in many ways.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post