Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    MacBook Pro purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacBook Pro purchase
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
On Feb 2, my early 2011 MacBook Pro died due to a CPU failure. I took it to an authorized Mac dealer in Lansing, MI, and he tested it and said it was not repairable, so I asked him if he had any 15" MacBoor Pros for sale. He had one in stock with 8GB memory and a 256GB SSD for $1,999.00, so I bought it. Later, on checking it out, I found it was an early 2015 model. Should I have been charged full list price for a Mac that was three years old? The dealer said it was returnable for two weeks. Please advise.

Posts: 270 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Gordon, Here is a similar one from Apple Refurbished for a little less but you will pay sales tax.

https://www.apple.com/shop/pro...-with-retina-display

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display

Originally released May 2015
15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

It might be more worth getting a refurbished MacMini since they are very substantial if you really do mot need a MaacBook to carry around.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brian. I think I'll go with the one I bought, since it's all set up and operating and it is brand new. Also I'm used to the portable convenience of a laptop and use it at the library for genealogical and other research. I was essentially wondering whether I should be buying a current model (2017 or 2018 if available) instead of a 2015 model. Is there any major difference between 2015 and later models?

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
"I was essentially wondering whether I should be buying a current model (2017 or 2018 if available) instead of a 2015 model. Is there any major difference between 2015 and later models?"

Just my opinion...and you asked.
1. Your price seems a bit high to me, especially since
you have 8GB of RAM and the link provided lists 16GB of RAM.
2. 2015 is older technology. Your machine will become
obsolete and unable to run some software sooner.
3. Of course there's a difference between the 2015 and later models.
Download MacTracker, it's free, and look up the model
of your new laptop and you will then be able to compare it to
more recent models.

And 4., my biggest opinion is "if this 2015 machine works for you,
and your needs, that's all that matters."

Posts: 1617 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the valuable info, Chita. I'll check out Mactracker and evaluate from there.

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
15" MacBook Pro's offered in 2015 came with 16gb of Memory standard. There was not an 8gb option since 2013 for the 15" model.

My opinion is for the same money, you could visit the Eastwood Apple store and walk out with a 2016 MBP. If this is really a 2015 model... maybe you should go back and ask for a discount.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Gordon,
If you go to the Apple menu >
Select “About this Mac” >
Select “System Report” >
Then look at the “Model Identifier” >
There will be a “title” like >
MacbookPro14,3

This will truly tell what model this laptop is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CHunter,

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
It's MacBook Pro 11,4 with 16GB memory. It's been up and running for several days now, I like it and will go with it. Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. MacGroup is great.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Here's general info from MacTracker