Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    "Your Connection is not private"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Your Connection is not private"
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I posted the following message
on September 09, 2017 08:39 PM:

"On some sites (including this one!), I get the following message: "Your connection to this site is not secure."

In the top left corner of the screen, there is a circle with an "i" which when I click on it gives me the message. How do I fix this?

Thanks!"

I have NEVER received a REPLY!!
Nancy Smith

Posts: 218 | Location: Southfield, MI USA | Registered: June 21, 2002 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post

Posts: 227 | Location: Southfield, MI USA | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Nancy:

What Mac device are you using, what browser, what OS version are you using?

This information should allow someone to offer assistance.

Brian

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
And to go along with what Brian asked, what kind of a network connection. Is your wifi router password protected? Are you sure you're connected to your own network and not a neighbor's open network?

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3777 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thank you Brian and Phyllis!! The problem occurs on my i-Mac OS 10.11.6) and my MacBook (OS 10.11.5) in Chrome. My wifi router has a password...but how do I know if it is protected? I am connected to an att network which is "locked".
I have been using Macs for many years--but there is so much I don't know--especially terminology. I really depend on and appreciate you guys for help!! Thanks again! Nancy

Posts: 227 | Location: Southfield, MI USA | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I'm on OS 10.12.6, but I use Chrome most of the time and don't see that message. I'm guessing it may be part of a phishing thing that is stuck in your history or cache files. Try clearing the browsing data under the Chrome menu. As to the router, if you check under the wifi menu and there is a padlock icon next to the name of your network, you should be safe.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3777 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phyllis!
When I check the wifi menu, there is a padlock icon next to the name of my network. (YAY!)
I cleared the browsing data & download history for the last 4 weeks.
In my ignorance, I'm leery about clearing too much!

As I recall, prior to MacGroup meetings, there used to be help available for people like me. Is that still true, and if so, what time should I arrive?? Thank you!! Nancy

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
It's also safe to clear Cached images and files. Trashing all cookies can be a real pain, and that is where Safari is better than Chrome. Safari lets you do it site by site instead of all or nothing.

The Genius Table is still around. We are available from 2 PM to 3 PM when the meeting starts.

—P M Evans

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
This, happily, turned out to be a
Chrome issue with an January 2017
Update to their way of doing things.

See:Here

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post