Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    add my niece to MacBook air
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

add my niece to MacBook air
 Login/Register

Picture of Sharon
posted
Hi all!
what's the best way to add my niece to my macbook air? i'm shipping my macbook air to her to use as she applies to grad school programs until she can get a MacBook for Christmas.

Posts: 18 | Registered: August 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Sharon,
Depends on what level of security you want.

To be safe, so that none of your information is ever compromised...
You could make an external backup of the MacBook Air, then wipe it clean.
Set it up as a new computer, so that she can use it freely.
When she returns it, you can restore the MacBook Air from the external backup you created.

If you are allowing her to use your apps, you could set up a new user account for her, or set up a guest user account; making sure that your account is password protected.

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sharon
posted Hide Post
i want her to be able to use the apps. i'm signed on as the admin. and there is a password on my account. forgive my ignorance, how do i create an account for her?

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Open System Preferences...

Click on Users & Groups...

Click on the Lock in the lower left corner and type in your Admin password...

Click the + symbol...

New Window opens allowing you to create another User account. At the top of that window you can make her an Administrator (it is set for Standard by default). Type her name under Full name then hit press the Tab key. Press Tab again and create a password for her. Tab once more and reenter her password. Click Create User and you are done.

My next suggestion is meant to keep YOU safe and happy. Make a Time Machine backup of the computer. When it is finished, log out of your User account and log into hers. Follow all the steps above BUT after you unlocked User & Groups, then click on YOUR account name. You should then click the - symbol to delete your account. Your software will remain on the computer but all your data will be removed. This way, should the computer get lost or stolen, your data remains safe. Since your niece will have Admin privileges, you won't have to worry about her changing your settings or deleting your data by mistake.

Let us know if you need more help.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2118 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sharon
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help! Should I delete my home folder?

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Yes IF you have it backed up...

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2118 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post