Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    iPod that just doesn't work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPod that just doesn't work
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
What can I do with an 80GB iPod that just went dead and doesn't work?

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
If it's the battery, OWC has relatively inexpensive DIY replacement kits. I kept an old iPod Mini going with one for a long time.
NewerTech 580mAh NuPower Battery
If it's the drive, they have (pricey) SDXC card replacement kits for the internal HD.
SDXC card kits

Assume you've tried the overnight charge, full reboot, chicken bones, etc. to revive it.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
No signs of life. Not much wear. Don't remember if it was ever dropped. It never got much use. Maybe the problem is it died from underuse. But I could sure use it now and am willing to pay to get it restored. In a quandary if it's the drive or battery. Willing to replace battery. Not confident about replacing a battery myself though.

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
FWIW, if it's the drive there may be hope to bring it back to life. I have an iPod mini that decided to die a couple of years back. The battery was shot, but I used it in a speaker dock so didn't care about the battery. The drive was the problem.

I sealed it in a plastic freezer bag and left it in the freezer for a few hours. After it had a chance to come back up to room temp, I connected it to the computer, and it came back to life. It's still sitting in the speaker dock and still working to this day. Sometimes the freezer trick only works long enough to retrieve files, sometimes it doesn't work at all. In my case, the freeze/thaw permanently broke the sticky bond that kept it from spinning up. It's worth a try.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Does it have any power at all???

When plugged into a power source, does the screen light up? If it has a bad battery, it should power on still.

No power at all means the board died and the connection shorted out.

Because it is an 80gb iPod, Apple doesn't offer support due to it being "Obsolete". It is worth 10% off a new iPod Touch under Apple's iPod recycling program.

Let us know what it actually does do...

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave. It's completely dead. No power at all after charging it forever. I guess I'll try the freezer trick.
Thanks

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Phyl: How about "freeze/thaw" ?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Either that or "Don't like the weather? Wait until tomorrow."

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Yep!

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post