Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    How Can I Make an Alphabetized List?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Can I Make an Alphabetized List?
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of Carol Goodell
posted
Hi,
I want to type the names of various charities, each on a separate line. Then I want to alphabetize this "list". I don't care what application I use. If I can do it in TextEdit, fine. Otherwise I can do it in Word. i haven't been able to find the answer on my own. Thank you in advance for your kind and generous help.

Warm Regards,
Carol

Posts: 1580 | Location: Bingham Farms, MI, USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Have you considered using a spreadsheet column? You could then sort it alphabetically and print.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
As Donna suggested, a column in Numbers or Excel can be sorted.
TextEdit doesn't provide this ability, even in its Tables function.
There are some online sites that will do it for you.
TextFixer

Sort My List

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
You can do it in Word without a problem, Carol. Think of each line as a paragraph.

First, make sure that Ribbon is checked under the View menu. Select the text, then click on the icon that has A over Z with the down arrow along side. It will bring up a Sort Text menu. Just set it to Sort by Paragraphs and Ascending. Click OK and it will sort.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3775 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Carol Goodell
posted Hide Post
Thank you Donna and Chuck and Phyllis for all your wonderful ideas. I feel much more capable now of doing what needs to be done. I want to be able to add and subtract charities to my alphabetized list.
Thank goodness for our iBBS!
It rocks and rules!

With gratitude,
Carol

Posts: 1580 | Location: Bingham Farms, MI, USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank goodness for our iBBS!
It rocks and rules!

+1

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post