Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    Disable PS CC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disable PS CC
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
Being a subscriber I would like to disable the Photoshop CC app now and then so that CS 6 will be the default. What's the best way to go about doing that?

Posts: 420 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Rich,
1. The only way to fully "disable" PS CC is to uninstall it.

2. You could place a PS CS6 alias' icon on your desktop
and drop your images onto it, to open them in PS CS6.

3. You could click on an jpg/PSD to select it >
File > "Get Info" and set ALL files to "Open With" PS CS6.

4. Caution. Files edited in CC may not open/look
as expected, if opened in CS6.

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chita. I don't want to uninstall it but it seems you can't hide, disable or change the default on Photoshop CC once it is installed on your machine. This applies to files made long ago before CC was even born. It seems once you have PS CC on your machine there's no way to change its default from opening all your files every time in CC.

Posts: 420 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
I can’t really see that being true.
I can open an existing jpg file in any
app that can open it, without Photoshop launching instead.

Did you try any of the options I stated above,
Instead of just double-clicking on the file?

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I did: Right click and open in...something else. That worked. It's what I have been doing. But double clicking will only open in CC even if I alter the name of the CC app in the folder and hide it somewhere else. CC is a very strong preference. It's just hard to break the muscle memory of double clicking, that's all.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
macOS uses other data besides filenames to identify the default application used to open double-clicked files. GetInfo provides the management for this setting.

Don't mess up your system with changes which you can easily forget and which may affect app function or updates. Use GetInfo.

Posts: 1978 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
What Jim said.
And what I said in my 1st reply.
Photoshop CC is not "a very strong preference",
it has just been set as the "Default app"
to open the file.

Altering the name of the Photoshop app
is a REALLY BAD IDEA.
Moving the app from the Applications folder
is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

The options I outlined in my 1st reply
to you WILL WORK, if you decide to use them.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll take it.

I was trying a workaround because I was not able to change the default in Get Info. But I am not a tech person so I will leave it be.