Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussions    Virus "cleansing"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virus "cleansing"
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
A club I belong to puts out a monthly newsletter in PDF form, which I email out to members. The person who authors/edits it does it on a Windows machine using Microsoft Publisher. Recently, a few recipients have said that their virus/malware alarms have gone off when trying to download this attachment, identifying a trojan, "PDF:UrlMal-inf [Trj]"
The machine used to publish is supposedly clean, and maybe this is a "false positive." Is there some way, on my Mac, to "launder" the PDF and re-export it free of either the "Trojan" (if it exists), or whatever tags might be triggering the AV alarms of recipients?

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
If you don't have Acrobat Pro, try opening it with Preview and export to PDF again. I've done this to get rid of password protection on a few PDFs. Might work with whatever is causing the problem.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
I did try doing that, opening it with preview and then "Export as PDF." This also strips off showing Microsoft Publisher 2013 as the "Content Creator" and "Encoding Software," which in themselves might raise flags with AV detectors. At least one person I tested sending a Preview PDF said it seemed OK, so I may just have to give the original a Dip in the Mac before sending it off. Was just wondering if there were alternate solutions.
Thanks.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post