New
Find
Notify
Tools

.HEIC
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
Some of my photos have an .HEIC extension. Many of these files are live photos that are duplicates of another live photo with the same name but with a .JPG extension. The jpg files are about double the size. Am I safe to delete the .HEIC duplicates? How did they get there?

Thanks
(pictures got into photos in 3 ways.. intitially I migrated an aperture library, next I dragged in files of photos from on my computer, and finally I imported pictures from my iPhone (clicking not to import duplicates)

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
"HEIC is the file format name Apple has chosen for the new HEIF standard. HEIF stands for High Efficiency Image Format, and, as the name suggests, is a more streamlined way to store image files. Using advanced, modern compression methods it allows digital photographs to be created in smaller files sizes, all while retaining higher image quality than its JPEG alternative."

https://www.macworld.co.uk/fea...hat-is-heic-3660408/

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
My phone settings are to optimize photos. If I import them via photos import from my phone to my iMac, am I getting only the optimized quality? Is the HEIC image lesser resolution than if I had imported directly from iCloud instead of from my iPhone?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that when you choose to Optimize Photos, it only Optimizes the photos going to iCloud Photo library to save space. Images taken on your iPhone should remain full quality for downloading. You may have to change settings for iCloud>Photos>Download and Keep Originals to get the higher quality images.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2117 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post