Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Working with Type in iPhoto's Book feature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working with Type in iPhoto's Book feature
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted
I'm using iPhoto 5's Book feature to make a hardcover album. I'm finding the type to be very rigid to work with. I know I can change fonts + sizes, but what if I want to change the color or have different fonts within the same text box? Can I do that? If so, how?

And what if I want the type to be right or left justified or centered? Can I change that as well?

And if I want to drop in a logo or piece of line art can I do that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scott,

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who has been working on this. His solution is to format the text in Pages. He sets the page to the page size of the book he is doing, formats the text, then exports it to pdf and places it like a photo. It's a bit convoluted, but it gives him the control that he wants.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree, that is convoluted. But at least there's a work around. If I can just import pdfs, then I can work in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop or pretty much any application that I want to. Thanks for the idea! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scott,

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
I have found something I think is a little better than using Pages, is Keynote.

Keynote can handle images and text, and can export into an image file (Pages cannot) as opposed to a .pdf. You can export as a high-quality .tiff or .jpg and import into iPhoto. Text over pictures or just text.

What works great about this is not only can you do custom type on pictures but you can make custom title pages for slideshows and DVD.

I just did this with a customer at the Somerset Store for an Apple book from iPhoto. She wrote a memory page of text, which the style of book she choose did not support. We created the page of text in Keynote and exported as a .tiff. This way we were able to use any font and layout as well.

She brought the book in tonight and it looked great.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
(Sound of hand slapping forehead!) Duh! Now why didn't I think of that. Thanks, Linda. I've passed that along to my friend.

quote:
Originally posted by Linda:
I have found something I think is a little better than using Pages, is Keynote.

Keynote can handle images and text, and can export into an image file (Pages cannot) as opposed to a .pdf. You can export as a high-quality .tiff or .jpg and import into iPhoto. Text over pictures or just text.

Linda

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Also let's not forget Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. In either version you can create a blank page or start with a picture and put the text on you want using the fonts you want and have complete typographical controls including kerning, leading and tracking. You also have the ability to use Open Type Font features as well as layer styles such as drop shadows, glows, etc. You can save as TIFF or JPG as Linda suggested or even .PSD to retain editability in Photoshop.

You can also use textured backgrounds to put your text on.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
Small glitch. It doesn't look like I can do this trick on the cover, only on the interior pages. It only gives you a text box and a picture box for the cover, no other "page type" options. So you can't use one large picture box to create a custom layout.

"Where's the RAM."

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Not quite sure which part is the glitch you're referring to. But maybe this will help?

You make the "other" page type in the another application (Elements, Photoshop or Keynote). Save this as an image (Even if it's really text) and use it in the cover picture box.

What you can't change is the actual layout, say two picture boxes instead of one.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post