Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    ichat says camera is already being used
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ichat says camera is already being used
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
After installing Tiger ichat says that camera is being used by another application (its not). I checked to see if imovie could identify camera.. and it worked fine. What other application would be using the camera?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Maybe none. This was a problem I used to have - the camera was "in use" all the time. Is this a built-in iSight? If not, try unplugging it and plugging it into a different port.

You might also try logging out and back in.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
nope. it still says. in use by another application..

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Is this an external iSight? If so, when did you buy it? There have been firmware upgrades to the external iSights - you may need to install the firmware update.

Go to the Apple menu and select "About this Mac". Then click on "more info" to bring up System Profiler. Click in "Firewire" on the left side, and then on your iSight on the right side. Look at the "Product Revision Level" at the bottom and make sure it's 1.03.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

System Profiler

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I am using a canon zr digital camcorder which worked before i had tiger. imovie finds the camera .. but final cut pro says no camera attached. ichat says another application is using the camera. .and yahoo says no camera attatched. under system profiler it shows both my external hardrive and the camera under the firewire section. Ive installed latest software updates and restarted system.. same result

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Do you have both cameras plugged into the ports at the same time?

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
What did System Profile say for the Product Revision Level?

Is the iSight plugged directly into the Mac or into the external disk drive?

===

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I dont have isight . only zr40

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Ah, sorry I assumed it was an iSight - but it would have been helpful for you to tell us the make/model in the first post.

Is the camera plugged directly into the Mac or is it plugged into the external disk? Have you tried with the external disk not hooked up at all? What Mac do you have?

===

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
imac g4 canon zr plugged directly into computer. I use the external for all my video, photos, and audio clips so it would be nice to be able to keep that on while using the software.

ejected external.. restarted and still only imovie can detect the camera

on 10.3.9 everything worked fine.. on 10.4.5 only imovie works. yahoo says.. no camera, ichat says another application is using the camera, and final cut pro (version 3) says it cant locate a camera.

thanks again for your help..any other info needed?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
This may be a conflict with QuickTime 7. I notice no Canon cameras are qualified for Final Cut Pro 5, and you say the problems started with Tiger. The Final Cut Pro 3 and 4 pages list the camera, but say it should not be used with other devices.

I think you may be out of luck with this camera and Tiger.

===

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I just read an article on MacFixIt that says people with the same problem and iSights have fixed it by resetting the PMU. It's worth a shot. You can read about how to do that here.

===

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
the apple discussion board posted this...

90% of the time or more, it is as simple as going to /Library/Receipts and trashing all Quicktime associated .pkg files, then downloading the full installer and re-installing Quicktime.

Is that worth a try? Do I delete them from my hardrive library or my user library? Will deleting them cause any other programs to misfunction? How do I reinstall quicktime with a full installer?

thanks

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You would use the hard drive library.

All removing the receipt file does is fool the installer into thinking the software isn't there. You could just move it to the desktop instead of trashing to play it safe - and a backup of your boot disk would be a real good idea, too.

You can download the installer here:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/mac.html

===

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a try.. one last stupid question.. how do i back up my boot disk?

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Use something like SuperDuper to clone the drive to an external FireWire drive.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Or Disk Utility in your Utilities folder of the Applications folder.

===