Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Imovie and large files
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Imovie and large files
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
My winter project is to get rid of all my VCR tapes of those momental birthday parties of the kids etc. i have successfully copied them to an external HD. But now while I am importing and adding files into ONE Imovie project, I get the message that my HD is not large enough to handle that file. Is there a way to work just from the external Hard Drive and not use up all that free space?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I found this on the web, does IDVD have the capabilities mentioned here?

n the past when you wanted to burn really big files that spanned multiple discs, Toast Titanium would split the files in order to ensure the most efficient use of disc space when burning. Unfortunately, when it was necessary to rejoin the data, the Roxio Restore application was required to stitch the files back together. With Toast 9 Titanium, one can select “Avoid splitting files when spanning.” under Options to avoid this process.

I decided to put these features to the test by burning a bunch of data discs using a 12.6 GB size folder, which contained multiple sub-folders and files of various sizes and type. I selected Data Project under Category Selection and told the program to avoid splitting the files and burn to DVD. The program informed me that it would need 4 blank DVDs. I hit the record button and when prompted, inserted a blank DVD into the drive. After each disc was burned and verified, it was ejected and I was prompted to label the disc and insert a new blank one. When the project was completed, the contents of the discs were logged using the Disc Catalog Maker, thus making it easy for me to search for and find files in the future.

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a way to work just from the external Hard Drive and not use up all that free space?

Move the project to the external drive and open it by double clicking it there.

quote:
Is there a way to work just from the external Hard Drive and not use up all that free space?

No.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I tried to burn a DVD with a large file and before the burn started an error message came up and warned that there was not enough space on the disc. Sorry to say it didn't like an itunes CD burn that asks for another disc

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Gonna resort to Toast titanium. Apparently, toast will allow the continual burn of DVDs much like itunes.