Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    making an imovie project question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

making an imovie project question
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
What is a good rule of thumb to use in selecting the aspect ratio of an imovie project? I've only used the 4:3 ratio in prior projects with good results. The resulting DVD will be shown on both standard and hi def TV's. I'll be using photos taken from my iphoto library with no video footage.

Also, has anyone got an opinion on the merits of the new imovie version over the older version.

Thanks for any input you can give.

While I'm at it - is the last meeting on ilife available on Disc? I haven't noticed it at the meetings and see it was not available for viewing after the meeting on our web site.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Why not try making one of each and see what the results are. That way your opinion will be the one that counts. Then you can let the rest of us know what you think. One consideration I believe is going to be the resolution of the original images.

In my opinion the new version of iMovie is the worst piece of Apple software since the inception of the Macintosh platform. The took a very workable program and turned in into junk. That is why they reintroduced the previous version for download by people who purchased the latest version of iLife.

I may be wrong, but that is my opinion.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Nina,

I know this isn't quite the question you asked but I personally prefer using iDVD to make still image slideshows. A couple of things; there isn't any Ken Burns effect and you have to choose the same transition between each picture but this is worth it to me. Also, it has a one-click ability to add/store the photos on the dvd. Great for when you want to give away the movie project and a copy of the pics. Try making one of these too, you might be surprised.

Brian, you may not like the new iMovie but it was either left on the drive when you upgraded the iLife suite or available for download if you bought a new machine because previous versions of your movie projects could not be worked on with iMovie 08. The fact that it does non-destructive editing (keeping the integrity of the original footage) and you can see all of your movie events in the same window so you can combine footage from different times/events, read the latest hard drive based cameras, might be worth it for some users.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Linda for your input. I've always made my slideshows in imovie then imported them into iDVD. Sounds like making them in iDVD without going through imovie might be the way to go. Can you do any resizing of the photos in iDVD or do you have to use the pictures as they are in iphoto? Transitions are not an issue as I only use one transition style for all my photos. Also, how does adding music differ in iDVD as compared to imovie? That might be the deciding factor in which program I use.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Nina,

I crop my photos to 4x3 in iPhoto before I use them in iDVD. If I don't want to loose the existing version, I will duplicate the picture, crop and then delete it out of the library after the dvd is completed.

Music; you can drag a playlist into iDVD or you can do a custom mix in Garage band of songs and use that too. What you can't do is i.e. on picture 35 you would like to fade from song A to Song B. Only iMovie can do that.

But I really like how titles show in iDVD more than iPhoto/slideshow and iMovie.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Linda for answering my question so promptly. Love the iBBS and MacGroup members! What a great resource we have.