Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Quicktime movie to imovie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quicktime movie to imovie
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
I took some video(mpeg) shorts with my little sony . i downloaded them into iphoto,opened them with QT pro and saved them as a .mov. When I try to import them into Imovie , imovie doesn't recognize them. Any ideas?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
.mov is just a container. What format is the movie in? MPEG-2? MPEG-4? Something else? Open it in QT7 and and then hit Command-I. An inspector window will open - check the format of the movie there.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
You couldn't import them into iMovie directly from the camera?

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I t would also be good to know what version of iMovie we're talking about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Jack: Imovie 09 version 8.0.5 the info on the .mov is MPEG! muxed 480x640
QT is7.6.4
I tried to drag the file right from iphoto
also tried to drag them from the desktop

I took Chitas advice and reconnected the camera and it DID read it and allowed the import

Weird!

Why wouldn't the file from iphoto be read?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
MPEG-1 is typically used for CD Video. I doubt that will ever work in iMovie. When you read it from the camera I'll bet you did a capture, which is uncompressed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
so if I want to do youtube video clips I need to import them directly into Imovie?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
That's another kettle of fish entirely. Unless you request the H.264 version, by default you're getting some type of Flash video, which isn't going to fly in iMovie. You need to get one of the import programs, like MPEG Streamclip, to download the YouTube video and convert it to something you can edit.

===

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Did you import video footage into iPhoto? Why iPhoto?

Importing the footage into iMovie in the first
place is easier, and a correct app to use for video.
From iMovie you can then export in the YouTube
format (and to other formats if you eventually desire).

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Jan,

Did you want to *export to* YouTube? Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wanted to do in your previous message.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
chita: I download the SD card from my little Sony handheld into iphoto. It plays well for those little snippets. What do you use?

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Jack: I just wanted to make a youtube movie from the snippets of video taken from my little sony camera. Taking Chita's advice I directly downloaded the snippets into Imovie and made a Youtube movie Wake surfing.m4v

still weird that these .mov clips import fine into iphoto but are nt accepted by imovie. However they are readily accepted by direct import into Imovie from the Sony Camera

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Not weird at all. iPhoto will play anything that QuickTime will play. You could have just saved the files to your Movies folder and played them with the QuickTime Player (iPhoto just keeps them organized for you). But iMovie only uses a very few formats (since it needs to edit). When you do an *import* from the camera, the camera is translating into DV (Digital Video), a format that iMovie will accept (since that's what most non-HD cameras output).

However, when you just take the files off the SD card, they are not in DV format. They are in whatever format the camera records in. It sounds like yours records in MPEG-1.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Jack ,that's why we pay you the Big Bucks
Thanks again for simplifying this quagmire
Have a Happy New Year!