Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Where do the pictures go if not to the iPhoto Library?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do the pictures go if not to the iPhoto Library?
 Login/Register

Padawan
Picture of Karen Budzinski
posted
I read Terry White's article about one of the benefits of iLife 06 being that you don't have to have the pictures stored in the iPhoto Library. Taking his advice, I changed my preferences so they are not stored there. Where will they be now? (This MAY be a stupid question, but I really don't know!!!) Confused Thanks!

Posts: 97 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Karen,

When you changed your preferences... WHERE did you select to keep them?

You could also search for one you know the name of and see where it is now living.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
A) When stored in the Library and you drag a photo from let's say the desktop, the photo is COPIED into the iPhoto library AND it remains on the desktop.

B) When you change the prefs so that they are NOT copied into library and say you drag a photo from the Desktop to iPhoto the photo remains on the Desktop and no copy is made. iPhoto references the photo where it is (on the Desktop in this example). Photos already copied to the Library remain there.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Junebug Clark
posted Hide Post
iPhoto Library Manager

To date, the best iPhoto add on I have come across is iPhoto Library Manager (iPLM).

This handy little app lets you create new iPhoto Libraries, switch between multiple libraries, and add or remove libraries at will.

If you plan on adding a lot of images to your iPhoto Library and are creating web pages, ordering books, etc. then you should plan ahead and understand what iPLM can do for you.

In my case I take a lot of pictures. This past weekend I shot a wrestling meet and used iPLM to create an "iphoto Wrestling" library and imported those photos into it. From there I created a web page and will order some prints.

A couple of weeks from now, a few of the best images will be added to the main iPhoto Library and the "iphoto wrestling" library will be removed from the iPLM list of choices. Then that library can be copied off my computer, while it is still small enough, and archived.

Later it can be copied back to my computer, or even a different computer, and iPLM can add it back to the list of choices to manipulate and work with again.

Why have your iPhoto Library grow to a size that it can't be or isn't being backed up? Use iPLM to organize images into reasonable/workable sizes.

Look into iPhoto Library Manager. It is a must have app.

Jb.

Junebug Clark / Denton, TX
pictures that tell a story

Posts: 330 | Location: Denton, TX- USA | Registered: July 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
Picture of Karen Budzinski
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posts. I get it now Smile I like the idea of the iPhoto Library Manager too. I take multiple "groups" of photos for school teams, and this would enable me to have different iPhoto libraries. Thanks for the lead!

Posts: 97 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Now that "bridge" has entered the photo storage choices...I was watching the Elements meeting on disc and was quite impressed with Bridge. Where does bridge store its photos or do you have a bunch of folders containing photos or do you create a a separate photo library?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
The beauty of Adobe Bridge (and why it's my choice) is that it doesn't store the photos at all. Bridge merely views any folder that you point it at. Before iPhoto entered the scene I was storing my digital photos in a folder on my server (large drive, gets backed up nightly) in a folder called (you guessed it) "Photos". In the Photos folder I have sub folders by event or subject matter. I never could commit to iPhoto because it kept insisting on copying photos into its "Library". When the Bridge came along it was PERFECT for me. Photos stay where they are and you just look at them, rate them, organize them, order prints, etc. with the Bridge.

No libraries to get corrupted or manage
AWESOME Camera Raw workflow
No gradual slow down because your library keeps getting bigger (since it only views one folder at a time)
Searchable metadata and keyword tags.

I'm in digital heaven.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight,,,,excuse the pun,,,,

so I can easily download certain photos from the office to say iphoto that i need to retrieve easily ,,,the rest I can store where ever...

Now if only I photo and Bridge recognized each others Keywords

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Just where are the ACTUAL photos on I photo stored?

Jedi Knight
Picture of Junebug Clark
posted Hide Post
As a defualt they are in the "IPhoto Library" Located in the "Pictures" folder.

Don't mess with the images there unless it is with iPhoto (or iPhoto Library Manager)

iPhoto won't like your going in and altering or moving photos with any other app.

Jb.

Junebug Clark / Denton, TX
pictures that tell a story

Posts: 330 | Location: Denton, TX- USA | Registered: July 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
It's too bad that Macs default to iPhoto when downloading and then hide the preferences to opt out, outside of the iPhoto prefs.

Posts: 425 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
For your average, non-computer savvy user, the defaults are fine - it makes it easy to hook up your camera and store your pictures when you can barely turn on the computer. It's really only a hassle for those that know better.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Actually the defaults are probably fine for most people getting a Mac for the first time. Think about it. If they didn't default to iPhoto, new users would be lost. Especially if they didn't own any other photo editing software. As far as the preferences being hidden, it is kind of weird that you have to change them with Image Capture. There used to be a System Preference item for this in previous version of Mac OS X. In Tiger however, it's gone. If memory serves, the first time you launch iPhoto it will ask you if you want iPhoto to be the default or not or decide later?

quote:
Originally posted by Rich&Barb:
It's too bad that Macs default to iPhoto when downloading and then hide the preferences to opt out, outside of the iPhoto prefs.

----

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
janp, In response to your query: "Just where are the ACTUAL photos on I photo stored?"

They are stored in UserName:Pictures:iPhotoLibrary:Originals
in Folders by year.Within each year there is a Folder for each discrete import you did. The jpgs are in there.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I've noticed when looking for photos in the library that certain years show up but even though I've downloaded lots of photos this year for some reason I don't see a folder for 2006. The pictures are there but it makes it very difficult to locate them. Any ideas why this is happening?

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Check Iphoto Preferences:Advanced and see where you are importing. Perhaps you unchecked copy Files to iPhoto Library when adding to Library at the beginning of 2006.
What version of iPhoto are you using? And what system version?

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post