Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Itunes checks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Itunes checks
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
So now that the Holiday season is over ,,,,how can I QUICKLY uncheck all those christmas songs from playing in my music library,,, I could painstakingly uncheck one by one ,,,,YUK

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Unchecking does not affect playing, only synchronizing to devices like an iPod.

Think of Playlists.

Check Doug's Applescripts for iTunes http://dougscripts.com/itunes/ for track management tricks.

Note that the script "Disable Dated Track" will fail if there is not at least one dumb playlist and one smart playlist. ("Disable" means "uncheck".)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
so I have to ditch the christmas music to a CD or backup device
Hate Jammin only to have Bing rapping to White Christmas!

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Make a playlist without the Christmas music and listen to that.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
You can Select All in a Playlist or select individual songs or adjoining tracks in your library, do a Get Info for all of them, and use the Option tab any choose Skip When Shuffling. You can do contiguous or non-contiguous songs in your Music Library list depending upon how you highlight them. You can do the contents of whole Playlists. You could do a search on the word "christmas," which would get you all those songs, select them all and choose the option to Skip.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Unchecking absolutely affects playing! If a song is not checked, iTunes will skip over it and go to the next one that is checked.

However, the solution is playlists. That's what they're for.

quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
Unchecking does not affect playing, only synchronizing to devices like an iPod.

Think of Playlists.

Check Doug's Applescripts for iTunes http://dougscripts.com/itunes/ for track management tricks.

Note that the script "Disable Dated Track" will fail if there is not at least one dumb playlist and one smart playlist. ("Disable" means "uncheck".)

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Thanka to all!

The options solution is what I needed,,,I truly am not a Playlist kinda guy although I do have have some for that "special moment"

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
You don't need to be a Playlist person, just make a "smart playlist" that excludes the genre "Holiday" and everything in your library will be there except the holiday music. Just be sure all your holiday music is tagged as holiday music.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Oops, for playing in sequence that is so. The track still plays fine when directly selected in iTunes.

quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
Unchecking absolutely affects playing! If a song is not checked, iTunes will skip over it and go to the next one that is checked.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Great Idea!

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
So the next question,,,, when I tried to create a smart playlist from ONE TYPE podcast (with many dates and episodes) ,,,it create a list from several of the podcasts from my other podcasts

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I was able to create a playlist folder and drag the specific items in but when I try to create a smart playlist by checking podcast, the next box comes up .....is true ,,,,which doesn't allow me to create further specifics for the list

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
When you create a smart playlist, you can use more than one criteria by clicking the plus sign.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

sp

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
great I'll try it

Terry did I say you ROCK

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
It worked nicely,,,I wanted to keep choosing podcast in the first box