Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Teaching someone an (iTunes) lesson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaching someone an (iTunes) lesson
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted
I have received lately a few emails from Apple that are iTunes purchase receipts. The purchases were not mine and neither was the name on the account. I quickly called Apple and told them that these were not my purchases and I didn’t know who the person was. I wasn’t very worried about being charged as the card showed as a Visa, which I don’t have. The Apple Rep told me not to worry as some people just use any email address for iTunes for the simple matter that they don’t want to receive SPAM. I thought “Great… I don’t want it either!!” So needless to say, Apple did nothing (thanks again Apple).

I also tried sending this person a few text messages asking them to please stop using my email on their account, and received no reply. I then tried calling, and when someone picked up, I asked to speak to the person with the name on the account and the phone quickly hung up.

A few days ago, I received yet another purchase receipt. Now I was getting ticked!! I then thought “Could this person really be so stupid as to use my email on an Apple account?” So I tried to log in using my email and clicked on “I forgot my password.” I then received an email from Apple allowing me to change the password. It worked!!! So I now have control of the account!!!

What I did next was to change the billing information, email address, street address, birth date and anything else this person could use to get Apple to re-activate the account. I was smart enough to copy the original information.

What I would like to do next is deactivate any computer this person is using to listen to the music they bought as it’s probably stolen. I know this because not only was this person using my email address, the security question and answer they used were the ones I used form my AOL address years ago. So they (somewhat) stole my identity!

Perhaps the best thing to do is activate 5 computers for this account and then just deactivate all?? Hey… I’m open to suggestions.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Download a free song of the week under that account name and move it to 4 other computers. Then you can log into the account in iTunes and deauthorize all 5 accounts Wink

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave,

Actually I didn't even have to do that. I noticed that once you log in with an account, iTunes gives you the option to authorize the computer you are currently using. Did that with 4 computers, then Deauthorized all 5! DONE!!

We'll see what happen now when Miss Smarty Britches tries to play her stolen Music.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
All the old music will work. iTunes won't check authorization unless it's a song it hasn't played before. That's when they'll get deauthorized.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Are you sure? From what I remember, when I deauthorized my work computer, any purchased music I had wouldn't play.

========================

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If you deauth *on the machine* that's true. But when I deauthed all my machines at one point from the store (because it listed 5 when I had 4) they all kept working until I 1) downloaded a new song or 2) played a protected song that had not been played before. Then it asked to authorize.

Think about it - there's no way iTunes is going out the servers every time you play a protected song. What if you are on your laptop without a connection?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post