Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    importing .MPG movies into imovie in ilife 09?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

importing .MPG movies into imovie in ilife 09?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
How do I import .MPG movies intoimovie from ilife 09?
Also how do i save the movies to show on web. Tried using iweb and it says my movies are too big and to use quicktime to save for web. But you have to have quicktime pro. that i dont have, so im tring to do it in imovie, is it possible?
thanks kelly

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what may be the easiest solution for your first question. But, here's a link that might help.
http://www.google.com/search?c...fe&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

RE: your second question. You should be able to reduce the size of the movie in iMovie. I have a very old version of iMovie. To prepare it for web: I went to the Menu/File/Share...then, click the QuickTime tab. It will save your movie as a .mov file (which may alleviate you having to deal with the .mpg file in your first question).

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
in my quicktime 7.6 the export for web or share are grayed out and have PRO next to them. So i need to be able to convert the file to a quicktime file then i can export it for the web.

is there any free apps that covert?

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
You don't need QT Pro to save the movie for web. You can use iMovie.

While you have the movie open in iMovie, just do this:
• Go up to the Menu/File/Share... (your version might say Export or Save As...)
• A new dialog box will open - click the QuickTime tab (per my previous screen shot - yours may look slightly different).
• Click Share, Save As, or Export. It will save the file as a .mov for using on the web.
• You should then be able to import it into iWeb.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
when i am in imovie and go to "import movies" my MPG files are all grayed out and i can import them in.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this link will help you find a Free converter.

http://www.google.com/search?h...+.mpg+to+.mov&aqi=g1

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
QuickTime Pro costs $29.99. It will do what you need and more, for Video and Audio.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
in quick time pro does it do it all for you as far as the movie and audio or do you do it your self with many steps? i also saw popcorn does converting. im look for what is easiest to use. Thanks for all the help.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Is this really all the steps????
1. MoreMissingTools - do a search for DemuxMpeg. There's a link that will take you to a page where you could d/l MMT.

2. iTunes - used to convert the audio file to AIFF.

3. QT Pro - used to combine the audio and video files back together.

4. Toast - used to create the VCD.

This is frustrating. Not the normal easy mac stuff.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Since we may not be communicating correctly, I'm assuming that this is what you want to do (to verify). You'd like to convert an existing movie that is in .mpg format, (which includes audio and video), to a format (at a reduced file size) to bring into iWeb?

Assuming that's correct, QuickTime Pro will do the conversion.
• Simply open the .mpg file in QuickTime Pro.
• And, then Export to Web... You'll end up with various options that you can choose to fit your needs.
• The export file will be in a .mov format, which iWeb and any other Web Design Program will accept.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
thanks
yes i want it for iweb and since i now know i cant open my files in imovie i want it for that too. appreciate the help.
kelly

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Obviously, to use the features of QT Pro, you need to fork over the $29.95 to change your version into QuickTime Pro. It's very simple--you pay, they give you a code almost immediately, you type it in and your program you have right there magically becomes QuickTime Pro. Then all the options that are currently greyed out will no longer be greyed out. Just keep your code in a safe place so, if you have to reinstall on this or another computer, you have it available to type in again.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post