MacGroup iBBS
help needed

This topic can be found at:
http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/550605544/m/3117058106

April 09, 2011, 09:35 AM
Nina
help needed
I have ilife 9 installed on a macbook, the problem is it doesn't recognize the photo or music libraries. When opening iphoto I get a message saying it needs the ilife updater app and to reinstall the program from the disk. I've tried that and get the same message. Also itunes doesn't load the music from the library into the program. Any ideas on what is going on? Should I try deleting the ilife suite and start from scratch? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
April 09, 2011, 01:26 PM
Jack Beckman
When you say it "doesn't recognize the photo or music libraries," what do you mean? Are you upgrading to v9? Did you do a default install or a custom install?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

April 09, 2011, 02:10 PM
Nina
I was transferring the material over from an older computer to a newer one. The ilife suite is a newer version than the one used on the older machine. I was not using migration assistant as there was a lot of items not being brought over to the new machine and I was getting the photos and music from a backup drive as the old computer is inoperable.
April 09, 2011, 03:08 PM
Jack Beckman
Did you put everything into the default directories (iPhoto library in Pictures and music in Music/iTunes)? What version of iLife is on the old machine?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

April 09, 2011, 05:07 PM
Nina
AS far as I know all libraries are in their correct places. Got itunes working but ilife is a no go. The old version of iphoto is 5.0.4 and I'm trying to upgrade to ilife 11 on a mac book running snow leopard.
April 09, 2011, 05:35 PM
Jack Beckman
What is the EXACT error message when you start iPhoto?

===

April 09, 2011, 05:47 PM
Nina
Here's the exact message that comes up when trying to start up iPhoto:

You can't open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto.

This library must be upgraded by the iPhoto Library Upgrader application before you can use it with iPhoto. Please reinstall iPhoto from your iLife disc.

Hope that helps. I've tried reinstalling from the disc but the same message keeps coming up.
April 09, 2011, 10:12 PM
Jack Beckman
You're probably skipping too many versions. You may need to export yor photos on the old machine and re-import them.

===

April 09, 2011, 11:29 PM
Nina
Thanks, Jack, that's exactly what I ended up doing and things seem to be working okay. Appreciate your help.
April 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Donna
Jack: Question on exporting. Does it bring over your folders?