Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Itunes and accounts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Itunes and accounts
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
I added a few accounts for work but none of the itunes songs are available. How does one access them from the master account(me)

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Normally, each library is separate for each user - there's no sharing involved.

You would have to put the library in a shared area and point each user's iTunes to that library. You would also have to use the same iTunes account on each one to be able to play any purchased songs (with FairPlay still on them - DRM-free songs will play without the authorization).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
so if I understand you correctly,,I need to put whatever folders of music I want on both both accounts into a shared folders on itunes library,,,then preferences/general/then change the itunes music folder location?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I don't quite understand your reply.

You need to move the entire iTunes directory out of Music and into a shared folder all users can see and update. Then in the preferences for iTunes for each user, you need to point the library to the one in the shared folder.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
If it is just your music library on your Mac you want to share with your co-workers on your local network you can do that in iTunes preferences. You will have to type in your password on their computer if you want them to be able to listen to any of your iTunes purchases though. But for any non-protected files they will have access to them, including movies and photos if you choose to share them too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bibo (Jim Nichols),

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
the question is dealing with accounts and itunes libraries not network sharing

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
thanks Jack I think I got it ,,I'll give it a try

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Bibo,

Jan has several accounts on the same computer that he wants to have access to the same iTunes library. He's created several different accounts to separate work from personal information.

===