Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    iMovie 6 HD problem with deleted audio file
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iMovie 6 HD problem with deleted audio file
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted
After splitting and deleting the back end of an audio clip that extended beyond the length of my movie, I now have 6 minutes of empty space that can't be deleted; 6 minutes of nothing added onto my movie. Nothing I've tried seems to 'remove' this dead space. Anyone seen this before? Have a solution?

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Do you have something else you could edit with, like QuickTime Pro maybe?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
I do...
The project is "built" in iMovie...
The extra steps to render it from iMovie to DV, bring it into
Quicktime to edit, back to iDVD to disc image...

I was trying to avoid that and find a
solution in case I see this dragon again.
There's got to be a reason iMovie is doing this.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
I have seen this often. Unfortunately, I have no solution (but see below). Apple Store trainers did not seem to have an answer either. Speculation was that Apple was preparing to make iMovie nondestructive and it had something to do with that. Now of course, they have taken a different track with iMovie '08, which is nondestructive.

Sometimes, I have cut the file and instead of deleting immediately, I move it further forward in the project before deleting. It worked a couple of times, but not consistently. However, when you make your DVD, you do not see that last blank part even though the size of the file seems to indicate that the data is still there.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
This is what I discovered from 'playing' with this file for several hours.

1. No matter where I pulled the audio from in the timeline, any audio split and
moved to the end of the movie creates a 'phantom' portion. The length of the
deleted audio pushes the movie out that exact portion, with blank/dead space.
AND, this problem continues if you create a DVD. The portion may not show,
but it plays until that dead space timeline ends.

2. I opened up my backup from the night before (Super Duper worth every penny),
which didn't have this problem, copied the split clip to the end, and the same thing
happened. So, this is an inherent problem with iMovie, and you can't put a
split clip at the end. You can, it seems, place it ANYWHERE else in the timeline
without this problem, just not at the end.

3. Workaround.
Duplicated the original audio file and backed it up to the end of movie, silenced
the tracks where the audio files overlap.

NOW, the only reason backing the file to the end of the movie worked for me
(I wanted the beginning of the audio clip) is because the audio clip was a classical
piece, Mozart's 25th, which repeats.

Had it not been such, the next step would have been to edit the audio in QuickTime Pro,
by copying the front portion, and making a new file out of just that copied portion,
placing this new file into iMovie at the end, and to see if that edited file stopped
the appearance of the phantom dead space.