Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Old iLife Files
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old iLife Files
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I use GarageBand 3 often, and iMovie 05 occasionally. I just completed a project in iMovie, and found that many of the effects no longer work, and the problem of synchronizing a slide show with music is still frustrating. I thought about purchasing iLife 09 in the hope that the new iMovie is easier to use, but I don't want to buy the suite for the one app.

I would buy it if the new GarageBand is better, but since I often go into my old GarageBand projects and tweak things it would be essential that I be able to open old Garageband projects in the new version.

OR is it possible to intall the latest version of GarageBand alongside the old. Does installing the new overwrite the old version?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does installing the new overwrite the old version?

Yes. You could try making a copy of the program first, however if there are additional support files in other parts of your system, the copy may not work.

You might consider trying one of your projects on a machine with iLife 09 installed to see if it reads OK.

As for iMovie - if you are happy with 05 you probably won't be with 09.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
You can custom install just the latest GarageBand without the other App's but you are buying the whole package.

What OS/computer model are you using?

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I've postponed any purchase until I make it up to the Apple Store and test iMovie. The reviews of it at Amazon reveal some people who are very unhappy with iMovie 09.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post