Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    burning Music
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

burning Music
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
I know I missed this somewhere in CLASS

I'm burning some travelin music on CDs and when I reinsert the CDs all I get is track 1 etc,,,no artists etc...

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Did you get rid of the playlist after burning the CD? I think you need to keep it.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Actually that sounds about right. When you burn a Music CD the track names and other info don't actually get burned to the disc itself. When you insert a standard (store bought) music CD iTunes performs an internet lookup based upon certain characteristics on the music CD itself such as number of tracks, length of tracks, etc. When it finds a match it populates the album name, artist, track names, etc.

Your custom burned CDs don't exist in the database. So when you stick your CD back in iTunes has no idea what it is other than a music CD. So you get Track 1, Track 2, etc.

Jack may be correct that if you maintain the playlist EXACTLY the way it was when it was burned, iTunes may recognize the CD again. I've not tried this. However, if you delete or rearrange the playlist then iTunes would probably forget about the CD that was burned from it.

quote:
Originally posted by janp:
I know I missed this somewhere in CLASS

I'm burning some travelin music on CDs and when I reinsert the CDs all I get is track 1 etc,,,no artists etc...

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Well, I just tried it with a CD I had burned previously, after renaming the playlist to something else - and it was still recognized OK. I think the library remembers the CD. Did you burn it on this same machine? I know it is not recognized on other machines. Did you have to rebuild your iTunes library at some point? That may have lost the connection.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
By the way Happy Easter / Passover

What I did was make a compilation of a bunch of songs,(mix?) to a new folder then burned the folder to travellin music

then

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
sorry

reinserted the CD and the blank Track 1's show up

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
sorry

reinserted the CD and the blank Track 1's show up

Toast has a feature called CD Text where you can embed the Track names, titles, and other info in the burned CD and it will carry over to any device that is CD TEXT compatible.

My Alpine car stereo uses the CD Text feature so when I burn a CD it scrolls across the display and looks just like my attached iPod.

I just got used to playing my iPod through the head unit so now I burn all my CD's with CD test so it looks similar.

Only problem is that iTunes is not yet CD Text compatible (can't burn a CD Text CD) and it won't read the embedded CD Text files. Hopefully in a future version.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Jan,

Are you saying you didn't burn the CD with iTunes? If so, then you will have to manually enter the information while the disk is inserted, but after that iTunes will remember it.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I burned the CD with itunes

sounds like the Toast may be a better answer if Jack doesn't have it

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If you used iTunes, then I'm still a bit confused as to what you did. You said you made a "new folder". Do you mean you made a playlist in iTunes, or something else? How did you select the songs to be burned?

As for Toast and CD Text - as Art said, you *still* won't see the names of the tracks or artists in iTunes, and probably not on most CD players either. Not every player has the ability to do CD Text.

You haven't had to do any sort of rebuild or recovery of your iTunes library since you burned this disk, have you?

===

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I created a new playlist
then i took a few favorite songs from itunes and compiled a new CD that I burned

when i reinserted the CD after it was burned I got the Blank tracks ...track one etc. without any info as Art had mentioned

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm just being dense - some of these things are hard to do via the web as opposed to talking to someone - but what *exactly* does this mean:
"i took a few favorite songs from itunes and compiled a new CD that I burned "

Took them how? Did you just open the playlist and hit the burn button? How did you "compile" the CD?

It would help if you could tell us step by step what you did.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
sorry Jack

I took 2 songs from a beatles collection on my itunes,,,followed by 3 songs from Barry white ,etc etc... all from my itunes collection
I put them into a new playlist named travelin music , inserted a blank CD,,,burned travelin music

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Well, then I certainly can't explain it. The CDs I have burned with random songs are recognized. Sounds like something damaged your library at some point.

Try setting the info manually for one song, eject the disk, and then put it back in. Does iTunes get it right? I know I have taken CDs from one machine to another, manually entered the songs, and the second machine has then always recognized the CD.

===

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
A burned CD (playable in a CD player) doesn't carry any info other than the music. Thus, a CD burned from iTunes will not have track title, or any other info whether played in a CD text player or played back in the machine that burned it. Your newly burned CD doesn''t exist in the database of commercial CDs iTunes searches.

Only mp3 and aac files carry all that extra info.

Posts: 473 | Location: Milford, MI | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Jay,

iTunes *does* remember CDs it's burned and ones it's been "told" about. I have several playlists made up of random songs burned in iTunes, and if I re-insert the CD into the machine that burned it, I get all the track info. Also, if I take the CD to another machine and enter the info into iTunes, it remembers the info when the CD is re-inserted.

If you turn on "hidden" files in the Finder, you will see a Table of Contents plist file on the CD. It doesn't have the track info, but does have a very long key, and I think that key may be associated with info in the iTunes DB (I haven't had time to rack it down yet).

===

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Odd. I don't get that info once I trash the playlist that created the CD. I'll have to check for hidden files.

Posts: 473 | Location: Milford, MI | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
hmmm,,
just burned another separate playlist
same problem with the track 1 etc.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Well, I just tried a test. I grabbed 4 songs, made a playlist, then burned it. Then I ejected and reinserted - no problem, all the tracks recognized.

Then I ejected, and deleted the playlist. I re-inserted the CD, and it still knows all 4 tracks. I even tried sending iTunes away, ejecting, re-inserting and restarting iTunes - it still knows all 4 songs.

So I don't know why it doesn't work for you guys.

===

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
hmmm,,
just burned another separate playlist
same problem with the track 1 etc.

What version of iTunes are you using? Most of us here have the latest and greatest (v6.04 i think). Versions before iTunes 5 were hit or miss for some features.

I just noticed something in the prefs, look at this image:

Notice the second check mark says:

Create Files with Track Number

Try and uncheck that?

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post