Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Copying Photos to a CD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copying Photos to a CD
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted
My newly purchased Canon PowerShot SD 450 takes excellent no-brainer photos.

How do I copy just the photos to a CD without going through
all the files to get to each photo?

I want to give the CD's to family and friends. They would be able to see each photo and make copies at one of the copying centers such as Sam's Club or CVS or anyplace that they want
to go to make copies of the photos that they like.

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
You could either let iPhoto automatically import them into it, then burn a CD from iPhoto. Or you can manually go through the folder on the memory card called "DCIM" and copy the photos out of the folder(s) named "123CANON" (the 3 digit number at the beginning will vary) and put them in a folder on your Mac and burn a CD.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Just a warning (maybe). I burned a CD from iPhoto a while back, but the CD wouldn't mount on the desktop. I thought it was faulty, or the burn "didn't work" and threw it away. Someone told me later that CD's burned directly from iPhoto can only be accessed through iPhoto - not independently.

Haven't done it that way again. I export the picts to a folder on the drive, then burn the folder to a CD. That way the files are universally accessible.

Maybe the more recent versions have changed that technique. Haven't tried. (Currently have iPhoto 5.0.4).

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
I give up trying!!!
I still cannot copy photos to a CD.
What am I doing wrong?

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Well people- I use iPhoto 6 and make an album, select the album and then select burn from the drop down menu under share. From there it ask me insert a blank disc and it burns - no problem. From there I inserted the newly burned disc into a Sony laptop PC running Windows XP and bingo it runs perfectly. So it might have to do with the version of iPhoto in use. My daughter has had a problem doing what I just discribed and she has iPhoto 5. If I were a nice Daddy I'd bring her up to speed with iPhoto 6 and maybe her problem will go away. Maybe

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 841 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
Success!!!
I did it with the help of my MAC friends.
Thank You

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Elaine- Could you share with me what you found to be the problem? Maybe my daughter could benefit from your exoerience Smile

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 841 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
I screen shot Bibo and Mary Jo's advice to my desktop.
The following is what I thought I understood as what to do....

Hard drive> Pictures> iPhoto Library> 2006
Look for the photos that you want to burn to a CD.
BEFORE YOU START--make sure you have a new folder on your desktop (Elaine's Picks).

There are three ways of viewing your photos
Click on the Icons (last of the three ways of viewing) and you can see your photo to make sure they are what you want.

Edit> select all or shift click to select all or click only on the photos that you want to burn to a disk.
Edit> Copy
Open folder (Elaine's Picks)
Edit> Paste

Once your photos are selected open Toast 6.0
Drag folder (Elaine's Picks) Drop in Video

My settings on Toast were:
Super Video CD
PAL
Video Quality High
Add Originals
Record

Any other setting would give me a blank disc.
The Toast setting above would give me what I was looking for, Pictures without iPhoto's folders.

After I burned the disk:
Hard drive> pictures> drop desktop folder (Elaine's Picks) if I wanted to keep for future.

Forgive me Bibo and Mary Jo if I hadn't followed your directions to perfection. At least you sent me in the right direction--Thank You.........

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine:
My settings on Toast were:
Super Video CD
PAL
Video Quality High
Add Originals
Record

With those settings, Toast therefore is not saving JPEGs/copies of your pictures, but making a video disk of them.
Super Video CD is a Video CD (VCD) format, lower than DVD quality, usually used to squeeze ripped movies onto a CD (not a DVD) for those not equipped with a DVD player or burner. It's also not at all compatible with older DVD players. "PAL" means you've made a video disk that's made to the European PAL standard, not US NTSC.
The resulting CD will probably "play" on a computer or a newer DVD box.
If your goal was to archive photos in their original form, those aren't the settings to do it with.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
Just came home from my local CVS drugstore.

Made a print from my CD. Click on enhancement and got

the most beautiful 6 X 4 photo from this "no-brainer" Canon Powershot SD 450 camera.

I will stick to my settings as told. Believe me I have wasted about 15 discs. Good thing discs are inexpensive at this time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elaine,

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Just one bit of advice, CVS uses the Kodak Digital printers, these are thermal prints and not as good of quality as a photo print. If you are a Sam's Club member get them printed on their Fuji system as these are archival photo prints and the quality is much better. Other places have the Fuji systems too. Also if you order online from Apple, Kodakgallery, or Snapfish these will be photo prints, not thermal prints.

Looking at your settings for your CD, since you chose "Add Originals", you are archiving the jpeg/original files.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
Regarding the CVS Kodak Digital printers: My local CVS has 2 machines by Kodak. One will print photos within 2 minutes right there at the kiosk- that one is a thermal print and its 29 cents a photo. The other Kodak machine takes an hour and and you have to pick those up from the clerk- cost is 25 cents and those prints are archival. So if you're not in a hurry, you'll get better quality and longer lasting photos by using the Kodak machine thats prints its pictures at the back of the store. btw- if you print 50 or more shots, the cost is 19 cents no matter which machine you use.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for the info. I will keep them in mind when I want some archival prints! I recently tried snapfish with pick-up at Walgreens. I placed my order around 3:00 am, they sent an email at 3:40 am saying they were ready for pick up.