Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    transferring music from itunes pc to new mac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

transferring music from itunes pc to new mac
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I bought my daughter a macbook pro for college and I want to transfer all her music currently on itunes on a pc. I copied her itunes music folder onto an external hard drive. I then renamed her macbook itunes music folder "itunes music folder old" and replaced the original folder with the one on the external. how do i get the itunes library to recognize this.. am i better off not to copy the external to the new computer and instead just import the songs into itunes from my external hard drive?

in other words.. what is the best way to transfer songs from itunes on the pc to the new macbook using an external hard drive.. and how do i get purchased songs to play on the new computer?

also.. same question for transferring pics from pc to iphoto

thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dale,

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Moving your music Library to another computer

Make sure to select the "Learn More" button for a step by step.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused as to what you want the end result to be, so I'm going to give you two answers:

1) If you want to copy the library and keep it in tact on your new MacBooks hard drive, I'm not sure if iTunes Mac will recognize a library file from iTunes windows. However, if it does, then put the "iTunes" folder from the PC into the Music folder on the MacBook replacing the old one. Launch iTunes and it should see the New (copied) library.

2) If you want to simply copy the music from your external drive into your MacBook (losing playlists, ratings, etc.) then you can just launch iTunes, click on the library on the left side and drag all of the music from the hard drive into that window and iTunes will automatically import it (copy it) from the external hard drive to the MacBook's HD.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post