Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    toast question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

toast question
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
In my continual quest to transfer VHS to DVD,
I see Toast offers easy VHS to DVD.
Now I already have toast 10. Do I need that little connector gizmo or can I get that from radio shack or griffin and use Toast 10 to directly burn DVD without having to drop 80 bucks?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
IF you find that elsewhere, it probably won't be much cheaper. That's the capture hardware - you need it or some other capture hardware (such as from Elgato).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I received that promo email also. The capture device, which plugs in to USB and your video camera or VCR, also comes with a copy of basic Toast. According to their info, you do your other stuff in iDVD. Since you already have Toast, maybe all you need is a capture device. Look and see what Elgato does that works with the application(s) you have.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I found an article that deals with using toast 10 with a firewire directly to the computer....
Using Plug & Burn™
When creating a video disc, you can automatically import video from your
DV camcorder using the Plug & Burn feature. You can import the entire
tape or only a portion of the tape. After importing, you can immediately
start recording your disc, or add other video or slideshows from your hard
disk before recording.
When you play your completed video disc, you see a menu containing a
button for each video you imported.

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
When creating a video disc, you can automatically import video from your
DV camcorder using the Plug & Burn feature.

Here you refer to a DV Camcorder, in your initial question you say "In my continual quest to transfer VHS to DVD,". If you are transferring VHS you need some type of device to convert the signal to FireWire from the VHS players Analog output. Or, if your VHS deck has FireWire output then you can connect your deck directly to your Mac and record your VHS tapes that way, Very doubtful though. Roxio sells the following device which will allow your VHS Analog signal to be captured by your Mac using Toast or probably many other software packages.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Please also note the following system requirements. I just did a test with my FireWire device (actually a MiniDV Tape Deck with FireWire output). Toast 10 captured it without fail.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
thanks Brian

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Brian , I was on vacation for the past 10 days and I finally got the firewire 2 to DV cord.
Now i am patching the VCR thru the camcorder. However plug and burn wants to only read the tape that is in the camcorder not the VCR. Any ideas for a workaround?

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I have the A/V to DV preference set ON

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Take the tape out? I never use a tape in my camcorder when doing passthrough. Also, you may need to do a "raw" video capture, not controlling the camera.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
thanks jack

what's a raw video capture