Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Why is my slideshow showing elongated slides?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is my slideshow showing elongated slides?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted
I just created my first DVD using iDVD. In the project was a slideshow I created in iPhoto. I constrained all the photos to 4x3 yet when I played the slideshow in iDVD, the slides looked slighly elongated. When I went back to look at the slides in iPhoto in Edit mode, the photos didnt show any sort of constraint. Is it supposed to? Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem? I'm using iPhoto 5 and iDVD 5

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
The sure way to make the photos look correctly is to use Photoshop or another editor and actually resize them to a 4 x 3 proportion and all will be well.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
The problem is that iLife (iPhoto & iMovie) doesn't provide the tools to achieve your level of satisfaction. You'll need to devote extra time and expense to get non-elongated slides.

This website or this one explain how to properly import photos in movie projects.

The basic problems are:
1. Aspect ratio: digital photos have a 3:2 aspect ratio, while NTSC television has a 4:3 aspect ratio. HDTV has a 16:9 aspect ratio. You must manually crop and resize your photos in PhotoShop to a 640 x 480 final crop. Perhaps Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Bridge addresses this problem in some automated way?
2. Color: you really shouldn't use JPEG photos or sRGB color space for your original images, unless your budget is very low. The slide show will look bad. The GIGO principle applies. Use at least a 3MP camera with RAW file formatting in the RGB colorspace. Crop in the camera as much as possible (i.e., zoom and frame tightly). [NTSC uses the YUV colorspace.] Convert colorspaces in PhotoShop.

For those working in Final Cut, there's a 3rd problem:
3. Resolution: NTSC video has a frame resolution of 720 x 480 pixels. That's not 4:3, or 640 x 480 pixels. You must use PhotoShop to resize a 640 x 480 cropped photo to 720 x 480 pixels. NTSC television frames do not have square pixels, with appropriate thanks due to the "genuises" at David Sarnoff Labs, NTSC, SMPTE, FCC, broadcasting, and Hollywood. These people have gone kicking and screaming all the way into the digital age, showing a remarkable lack of technical foresight and maturity. They need to overhaul the whole system from every perspective.

Good luck!

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post