Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    iphoto08 questions keeping me from organizing my photos..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iphoto08 questions keeping me from organizing my photos..
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
1. My current iphoto album has some pics that I imported in alias mode (did not copy to iphoto library). I want to make new master iphoto library that has all my pics automatically organized by event date and the photo files included in my iphoto library (and not aliased). What is the best way to have iphoto 08 locate all the pics that are aliased and include the file in the iphoto library? Some of the pics that are aliased have been moved or trashed and iphoto keeps hanging up looking for them. How do I find all the thumbnails that are links to missing aliased pics so that I can delete them?

Exporting the pics in iphoto08 will allow embedding the keyword info into the metadata. Id like all my keyword info embedded so that i can search them in spotlight when not in iphoto. Ive discovered that exporting also changes the camera date of the picture to the current date of export so that all original date info is lost keeping me from re-importing the exported pics back and having iphoto organize them by date.

How do I consolidate my library to replace aliases of photos with the actual file in iphotolibrary, delete thumbnails of lost or moved links, and arrange photos by date? (with embedded keyword info)?

2. When I import a photo with embedded keyword info (in the metadata) into iphoto it reads this info and adds it to the keywords.. That part is great, the problem is that any photo taken in portrait mode gets duplicated and placed in modified folder and all the keyword info is lost. How can i import the rotated pics so that the keyword shows up in iphoto 08?

3. I'd like to locate all the pics in my current iphoto 08 library that have keywords (so that I can export them and add the keywords). Id like to find all the pics with no keywords, so that I can add keywords. How do I make a smart album to find all pics that have any keyword associated. (in other words, how do i separate the pics with keywords from the ones without?) Do I have to list each of the (1000 or so) keywords separately in the search or is there a way to just say search files that have any keyword or no keyword?

4. Is there a way to consolidate iphoto 08 libraries or does that require a 3rd party application? Can duplicate photos be eliminated in any automated fashion? Can two identical pictures with different keywords be combined so that its one picture that includes both sets of keywords?

so many questions.. anyone have any of the answers?
thanks

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
There appears to be little interest in iphoto, but I thought I'd try again in case anyone is interested.

Two new questions..

1. Is there a way to relocate a web gallery from an iphoto library I'm deleting to my current iphoto library?
2. Is it reasonable to place an iphoto library in a shared folder for use by two different users (admin and guest)?

This is what I've determined for my previous post..

1. There appears to be no way to search for aliased photos on iphoto.
Updates to iphoto have seemed to correct embedding of keywords into photo metadata.

3. There appears to be no way to do a search for pictures with no associated keywords on iphoto.

4. There appears to be no way to consolidate libraries in iphoto.

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Iphoto library manager is a program that is supposed to manage your iphoto libraries. You need to purchase the upgraded program, which costs $19.95 in order to assess the advanced features, such as merging your libraries. There is also the option of downloading the free version without all of the features. It is available at: http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/. Check it out and see if it's something you're interested in.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post