Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Where are actual iPhoto images?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where are actual iPhoto images?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of switcher
posted
Using iPhoto 11. Looking in users-->pictures-->iphotolibrary I have a folder but when clicked on, just launches iPhoto.

I want photos to import to iPhoto but also want to grab them into a separate folder so I can import some into Lightroom.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 182 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
After you use iPhoto to import your photos, then Just put your memory card into a card reader and put them where you want them. Otherwise you need to Export them from iPhoto.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of switcher
posted Hide Post
Oops, forgot to add that I'm using iPhone 4S.

Trying to avoid having duplicate images on my HD.

May be that exporting best photos out of iPhoto is my best option at this point.

Jeff

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Since Lightroom will always reference the photos in the folder you put them in, AND you don't want to have duplicates taking up disc space, you're better off:

1. put the memory card in and copy the images to a folder on your hard drive where you will want to keep the images.

2. Open iPhoto, go to the preferences->Advanced and turn OFF/uncheck "Importing - Copy items to the iPhoto Library". Close the preferences.

3. Now you can drag the folder on top of the iPhoto icon and import the images into iPhoto and iPhoto will reference the pics in the folder.

4. Now you can drag the folder on top of the Lightroom icon and import just the ones you want using the "Add" method and Lightroom will reference them in the same folder.

You end up with ONE set of images that both programs use!

BONUS TIP

If you import all of them into Lightroom, you can use Lightroom to send them to iPhoto using this method:

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of switcher
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Only remaining issue is how do I do this with iPhone as opposed to memory card?

I hooked up iPhone and tried Import to Library in iPhoto (going to specific folder) but nothing is importing.

Thanks for all your help.

Jeff

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
When you plug in your iPhone you can launch Image Capture (it's in your Applications folder) to transfer specific or all images to a folder of your choice.

Lightroom will also import from your iPhone to a folder of your choice, perhaps consolidating your steps using Lightroom 1st.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of switcher
posted Hide Post
Good. Didn't know about image capture.

I have LR4 - it is now my new friend.

Thanks,

Jeff