Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    resaving .mpg for imove
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

resaving .mpg for imove
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
Im converting .mpg files to get them into imove 08. I bought Quicktime pro to do the converting but what choice is best for making movies to veiw on a tv.
Movie to QuickTime Movie Or Movie to AVI?
thanks Kelly

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
To view on a tv via - what? An Apple TV, a DVD player, from a computer into - what port?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
on a dvd for a tv viewing.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Then your only choice is to burn via iDVD or Toast or the like. Either of those will do the conversion. What program where you planning to use to create the DVD? Also, the original files - where are they from? What type of .mpg files are they (MPEG4, MPEG2)?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
creating in imovie.
burning with toast6.
.mpg files are from a sony camera says MPG1 Muxed. I wanted to make the movie in imovie (which doesnt take .mpg files unless converteded which ill do now with quicktime pro (very time consuming and may get another camera that saves as .mov files). then burn and watch.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You're pretty much stuck. If you want to edit in iMovie, then you'll need to convert to a QuickTime movie, and then when burning to disk Toast will need to convert to MPEG2.

===

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
should i use idvd? im not understanding how to make the movie in imove then burn it to a dvd to watch on a tv. I thought this was supose to be easy when you get ilife???

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I haven't used iMovie in a long time, but there should be some sort of Export to iDVD option, depending on which version you have.

You can also just start a new project in iDVD and import your QT movie saved from iMovie into iDVD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
thanks ill try that.

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poobelly:
creating in imovie.
burning with toast6.
.mpg files are from a sony camera says MPG1 Muxed. I wanted to make the movie in imovie (which doesnt take .mpg files unless converteded which ill do now with quicktime pro (very time consuming and may get another camera that saves as .mov files). then burn and watch.

MPEG1 movies are spec'd at 320x240 image size and highly compressed. "Muxed" means audio and video are multiplexed together as a streaming file.
You could some time try using the widely-used free app MPEG Streamclip to demux and convert the files into a file format more suitable for editing.
Contrary to widely held opinion, converting files from one format to another to another is more often than not a frustrating, time-consuming P.I.T.A.
It's only just a tad easier if you're using the official iMovie/iDVD workflow-- DV format camera, Firewire into iMovie, iMovie export to iDVD, encode, burn, cross fingers.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
MPEG Streamclip also repairs timecode errors and can convert to DV if you add the Apple codec for about $20. iApplications seem to like the DV format.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
ok my camera is broken. Now how do i find out what still camera that takes movies (which format?) will work with imove08? .mov Cannon??? I cant find it on the apple site.
Sorry so many questions i just am trying to make this as easy as possible.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The Canon SX5 IS shoots NTSC quality movies which seem to work with iMovie. I am still using iMovieHD (6.0.4) because I have not learned the weird new interface.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Most digital still cameras that take "movies" generate relatively short clips (usually less than 60-90 sec long) and sized at 320x240 pixels. My little Canon S410 shoots these in .avi format, and uses Motion JPEG codec. I have imported these directly into iMovie HD (5.0.2) and exported (Shared) the iMovie timeline to Quicktime files for data DVD, and to iDVD 5 for video DVD.
Have not used iMovie beyond the version I have, though, so can't testify as to how this would work in iMovie 08.
Newer cameras, as Jim points out, now do shoot higher resolution clips at standard definition and sorta HD.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post