Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    thumbnails and duplicates in iphoto
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

thumbnails and duplicates in iphoto
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
Occasionally iphoto tells me it wants to rebuild the thumbnail cache. This takes a while (several thousand photos) and I'll usually click "later". Is there a way to request this rebuild when I want it and what exactly does that do? Will it correct the problem I'm having with some of the thumbnails actually showing the wrong picture? Also, I know iphoto can check for duplicates since Ive had occasions where I accidentally try to put the same picture in again and it asks if i want to import duplicate. Is there a way to check for duplicates manually? I know I have several duplications of similar photos that Id like to eliminate? What criteria does it use to check redundancy (Does it have to be an exact match?)

Thanks

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Dave Finegold
posted Hide Post
I am not 100% sure, but I believe this is how it works:

iPhoto saves pictures to the iPhoto Library in files and folders based on the date and time each file was created. iPhoto alerts you to possible duplicate files if it tries to copy a picture into a library folder that contains a photo with the same file name ( this should also be contained in the camera as well).

I think the rebuild feature for the thumbnails is usually rebuilt whenever iphoto has a update that affects how thumbnails are displayed. Maybe they changed a way they are displayed or the size of the thumbnail.

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

Posts: 252 | Location: Novi | Registered: March 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is interested.. I did find out that pressing option command when starting up iphoto is supposed to get to the rebuild thumbnail option (I havent actually tried it yet)

I'm still not sure what rebuilding it does.. or why it is necessary. I also discovered that iphoto wont allow you to check for duplicates.. but it does somehow know if they are there since it tells you if you try to add one. I know I somehow managed to import duplicates which I'd like to eliminate.. Since iphoto is capable of recognizing duplicates.. is there a command to ask it to do so?

thanks

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post