Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    iMovie-Camcorder transfer question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iMovie-Camcorder transfer question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Hello all, Am finally spending some quality time with a Canon Elura camcorder I purchased 4 years ago(!!!)
The first download to iMovie went OK, but was in real time. Is there a way to speed up the transfer? (it's a tape recorder)

iMovie v. 5.0.2 (an older one) - just knew Jack, Jim & Donna would ask.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
I use that camera every week for football scouting. No way to speed the transfer up, as far as I know. 45 minutes to tape a game, 45 minutes to transfer to iMovie. Now, I need to start using Adobe Premiere. I'm used to iMovie, so premiere usage has been pushed back.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

The transfer "from" tape will always be in real time. There is no way to speed that up. Remember that the transfer is based on the tape playing. Yes it's a tape recorder but notice there is no double speed playback. If there were the sound and motion would look like fast forwarding to get to a new location on the tape.

Now you know why Terry and many others are so enamored with Camcorders that record to memory cards. There is no restriction to how fast the data can be moved. Also Terry has said numerous times that he often edits videos without ever moving them off the memory card.

The version of iMovie has nothing to do with the capture time. It works in real time when using Premiere Pro CS4 also.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thanks cjh & Brian

I've had my eye on the newer flash memory & memory card camcorders. It's definitely where it's all headed. However, after paying quite a bit for the older camera, and never really learning it, thought I'd better go into "thrift" mode for the time being. I hope to use it more now, but will probably be only for special occasions, family events, etc. If I wind up using it a lot, may consider one of the newer cameras.

Thanks a bunch

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post