Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Iweb '09 blog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iweb '09 blog
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted
I am trying to create a simple blog using IWeb. I am volunteering at an elementary school in a special program with my dog, and I would like to have the kids be able to to read the blog and make comments. I don't want it related to any other webpage-I just want the blog. When I go to make a new entry, it creates a brand new page each time. I would like to be able to just write a few sentences each day, have a place for comments, and be able to add photos. Right now, the first page consists of a picture, title, and a little text. On the top, you have to click "read more" to go to the next page which has the date, a picture and entry. I used a template to create this. Do I just need to start with a blank page? Am I using the wrong program?
Thanks.
Rhonda

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
It's been a while, but from what I remember:

1. use iWeb to set up your new blog. If you don't want it to be a part of any other site you've already done, then create a NEW SITE first and add a Blog page to it!

2. Once you have it setup the way you want, then you make your daily entries by going to the Blog page you created in step one and clicking the Add Entry button at the top of the page.
This will add a new blog post "entry" to the page you've already created, pushing the previous post down.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

addentry

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Rhonda,

There are numerous FREE Blog sites and software available, and just perhaps one of them may suit your particular needs. I've used Blogger to create a few blogs for various people. Relatively easy to use, with pre-designed templates. No software to download, as you do it all with their online software.

https://www.blogger.com/start

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Mike-
Thanks for the suggestion. Blogger seems to work for me so far. IWeb is prettier, but what a mess to use.
Thanks again.
Rhonda

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Terry - Is your tech blog on one of these free sites? Or did you set up your own?
If you prefer not to say, I understand.

Am giving light consideration to doing a blog, but still investigating. Am now on Facebook, and don't want to just add busywork.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
P.S. - How does a "free" site like Blogger make revenue? Ads? ???

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
P.S. - How does a "free" site like Blogger make revenue? Ads? ???

I had the same question before I used Blogger. Blogger gives you the option of having ads attached in your Blog or NOT. Their approach is hoping that you will allow ads - but, there is no obligation to do so. I suspect that make their money from bloggers that do allow ads on their blogs.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonda:
Mike-
Thanks for the suggestion. Blogger seems to work for me so far. IWeb is prettier, but what a mess to use.
Thanks again.
Rhonda

Blogger has a lot of flexibility. You can even create your own template and design, and customize a lot of things. Much of extra stuff takes some knowledge of HTML, etc. For the basic blog, I've found that many of their templates are acceptable, with just some minor adjustments. I can post links to a few that I've done, if you like.