Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    PLEASE HELP -- PHOTO ORGANIZATION MESS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PLEASE HELP -- PHOTO ORGANIZATION MESS
 Login/Register

Padawan
Picture of Karen Budzinski
posted
HELP!!! My photos are hogging all my space on my hard drive. I CAN keep a quarter year of photos ON and remove the others, but now that I took the "keep a copy in iPhoto Library" off, I don't even know where all my photos ARE!!! Now I removed some to burn to disk, and the thumbnails STAY in iPhoto but when I click them a question mark comes up! I bought iPhoto to be ORGANIZED! ^%$$%#@%$%^$#

My questions for the more educated iPhoto afficiondos:
1. When I make changes in Photoshop CS, where do my photos go?
2. When I put photos on my iWeb, can I remove them from the library?
3. Should I just have EVERYTHING go through Adobe bridge? How do I accomplish this?
4. Is another "add on" photo organizer going to complicate my life even MORE? I thought between iPhoto and Adobe Bridge (and I plan to get Adobe 's program - is it Lightroom? when it comes out) would keep this organized.

My original plan: upload any pics I want and put them into folders. Then, every quarter, copy the originals to an external drive, and remove the prior quarter's pics off my computer (so only a quarter of pics is on the computer, but a year's worth is on the external drive). Then, at the end of each year, make a family iDVD off the external drive, and then delete the year's worth off the external drive and start again.

Can any one help me with this? THANKS SO MUCH!!! It's only been three years with the Mac & I still can't get a handle on this....

Posts: 97 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
You're starting to see why iPhoto was a pain for large amounts of photos "UNTIL" they came up with the option to turn off "copy in iPhoto Library". Although you've turned this option off, you're still thinking the old way of putting the photos on your main drive and then moving them to the external later!

With this new ability to turn OFF "copy in iPhoto Library" the point is that your photos don't have to be on your main drive EVER anymore. You can start off by putting the photos on your external FIRST before dragging them into iPhoto. With this option turned off iPhoto will "REFERENCE" them where ever they reside (even on your external).

Scenario 1:
Before this option existed, if you had 100 photos on your external and drug them into iPhoto, iPhoto would copy the 100 photos into your iPhoto library which defaults to your main hard drive therefore duplicating them. They would be both on the external (unreferenced) and COPIED onto your startup drive. You could of course delete them from the external because they've been copied.

Scenario Two: Turning off the "copy photos into Library" option. Now iPhoto doesn't care where your photos are! You first put them where you have ROOM and want to keep them! Then when you drag them into iPhoto, iPhoto will simply POINT to them on whatever drive they live on. Photos that were already in the iPhoto Library BEFORE turning off the copy option will still be in the iPhoto Library on whatever drive (your startup drive by default) that your Library exists on.

1) when you make changes to a photo in another app OR iPhoto, iPhoto makes a copy of the original immediately so that the changes you make in Photoshop or whatever, do NOT affect the original. My guess is that the copy it makes ends up on the drive that contains your iPhoto library (I just haven't had time to check this out).

2) Photos put into iWeb are copied into your iWeb file and therefore have no link or tie to the original photo. You could delete the original without it affecting iWeb.

3) The Bridge is my preferred workflow because unlike iPhoto/Aperature/Lightroom, the Bridge doesn't make a "library".
I bring my photos in using Image Capture (not iPhoto). I convert my RAW files to .DNG format. I put them on my Server (because it's automatically backed up each day) in folders by event. I use the Bridge to look at them, process the RAW files, add metadata, add keywords for searching later, rank them, order prints, upload to my Kodak galleries, etc.
I only put specific photos into iPhoto when I want to use iPhoto's strengths such as ordering calendars, books, slideshows to music for iDVD, etc. Photos do NOT have to be in iPhoto to use with iWeb. You can drag photos onto iWeb pages directly from the Finder.

The bottom line is that you have to define a workflow that is best for you! Any "organizer" is going to have its own way of doing things. That's another reason that I prefer Bridge! I love the features and speed of Lightroom and will probably use it for my portfolio shots, but the Bridge will be my everyday easy way to get at my photos. I don't have to worry about them being in one place. I don't have to worry about them being in a large library that I have to keep pruning down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Terry White,

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry - you ARE a genius!!! I printed off your reply and am going to work on organizing my pics this week. I may be able to get a handle on this after all... I'll post when I'm done (or if I get stuck! Red Face Thanks again!

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
great piece Terry
1. Where is the Bridge available?
2. This should be placed on Terry White speaks

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
1.) The Bridge comes with any Adobe CS2 app or Photoshop Elements 4.0 Mac.

2.) Not a bad idea.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Thank you again

As I tell every Mac owner I meet.......the best $40 I ever spent!

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Just an update. My photos are all organized with very little effort, and my computer has room to grow again! Thanks Terry!

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
You're welcome and you've inspired me to take the time and go through ALL of my photos and add the proper keywords and metadata for future searches.

----