Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    iMoviie '06 import takes HOW LONG?!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iMoviie '06 import takes HOW LONG?!!
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
I finally tried iMovie HD today, to import a .mov to do some enhancements. it took 454 minutes to import a Divx-based .mov that eventually failed. i tried a native QT-made .mov file and the progress line took so long to start moving, I discontinued it too.

Does iMovie only work with DV files? is Final Cut Express the tool to edit/enhance files?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You're pretty much limited to DV and MPEG-4 with both of those. Even Final Cut Pro won't do DiVX (unless there's a third-party plug-in for it).

iMovie and FCE are consumer apps - they aren't meant to handle a wide variety of video formats. You need to move up to the pro stuff for that.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Maybe there's some helpful info here:
"Playing AVI and DivX Files"

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, Chita; I have Divx for Mac installed.

Jack -
I thought the Divx might be a problem, so I tried to load .mp4 files (Video Podcast) into iMovie; they wouldn''t take. BTW, what good is the Pro app if it doesn't handle all files?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Final Cut Pro handles a whole lot of formats, but Divx isn't one of them. Divx is heavily compressed video - the kind of thing you produce as output, not edit. It the same thing with DVDs - you don't just take the files off of them and edit, either (at least I haven't been able to).

It's like trying to edit PDFs - you can't do much to them, really - you're supposed to edit the original document that created the PDF, and generate a new one.

Looking at the Divx site, it looks like the codec only allows you to play and export Divx, not edit it.

As for "what good is it" - well, people are creating TV shows and movies with FCP, so it must be good for *something*<g>.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
What app is used for compression to different formats?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Compressor comes with the pro apps. It uses QuickTime codecs, so for example if you buy the Divx codec, you can output to Divx.

===