Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    imovie question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

imovie question
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I'm doing a photo slideshow in imovie on a G4 first generation flatpanel imac running the latest versions of all software. When I tried bringing in my photos, it allowed me to see the first seven photos in the preview window when I selected them, then when I clicked on the eighth photo it no longer showed the photo in the preview pane. It also wouldn't show any of the first photos I imported into imovie in the preview window. Any ideas on how the problem can be resolved would be appreciated. The program isn't locking up as I can still navigate to other areas within the program. I've repaired permissions.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Memory?

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I've got 800 MB of memory and 23 GB of hard disc space available. I've archived all my other projects to free up hard drive space, so that shouldn't be an issue, especially since I've done similar projects before.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at memory usage with Activity Monitor?

Is there anything else running at the time?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Just the behind the scenes things that can't be turned off. It shows 98% unused capacity with Safari running and imovie not launched. When using imovie that is the only program I have open.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
98%? That seems awful high - and memory isn't reported in percentages. Are you sure you weren't looking at the CPU tab? You want to look at System memory and let us know all the values on that tab.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

System Memory

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry I took so long to reply .. Here are the numbers you were looking for:

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The page outs seem a bit high, but there seems to be plenty of memory available. This taken while you're having the problem?

The video card on that system is pretty low-end these days - it could be that the 32 MB of RAM on the card is just not enough to show that many photos.

===

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Nina,

I am assuming by saying "bringing them in from iPhoto, you are in iMovie, clicking on the media button and selecting your photos?

If you are but selecting from the "library", try putting those photos in a an album first. When you select this album in the media browser, you can "select all" and drag them all to the timeline at once. By doing it this way, you may be able to avoid them "disappearing" and trying to select them.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Photos are in an album since I wanted to edit the number of photos going into the slideshow. I haven't tried bringing them all in at once since I generally like to have more control on how the photos appear in imovie and I've had difficulty editing photos in the past once they are in the imovie timeline. I'm planning on updating to a new computer with more processing power, so hope that will make a difference.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Nina,

Make an album of only the pictures you want in your movie, edit them, arrange them in the order you want them for iMovie. When you bring them in all at once from the album it maintains the order. (For arranging it's also a little easier to see the larger image in iPhoto than the tiny thumbnail in iMovie, ummm....from my well-over 40 eyes.

Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linda,

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Linda, I had already arranged the photos I wanted in the movie into a separate album. The problem I'm having is getting them to show up in the preview window in imovie and once they're in imovie I don't have much luck tweeking the photos if need be. I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that this computer is low on processing power and it's overtaxing the capability of the computer.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Nina, out of curiosity, have you tried creating the movie using a clean identity? You'd have to copy the files to the Shared Folder in the Users folder so that you could still access them. It's worth a try. You might just have a corrupt file somewhere in your user folder that is causing the problem.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Phyllis, I haven't tried that approach. At this point I think I'm going to wait until I get my new computer and transfer the files to that one. With more processing power it should make the job a lot easier. Thanks for the suggestions though. I wouldn't have thought about doing that.