MacGroup iBBS
Missing Pics

This topic can be found at:
http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/550605544/m/6607006956

January 04, 2014, 09:54 PM
janp
Missing Pics
I recently had to perform a clean reinstallation of the hard drive. After backing up to time machine, the clem up went well. After all said and done , when I opened iPhoto I got large number of greyed out boxes and of course no picture. Can I import individual pics from time machine?
What was the cause of the loss?
August 02, 2014, 09:50 PM
George Little
I just had the same experience. Did you ever figure out how to get your pictures back?

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.
August 03, 2014, 09:38 PM
George Little
Problem solved (so far). Since migrating from my MBP to my Mac Pro, my iPhoto application was not working properly and I was not able to display a large number of photos. I would get a large exclamation mark and no picture. I found that if you launch iPhoto while holding down the option and command key you'll get a series of tools that allows you to rebuild and repair your iPhoto library. Worked for me.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.
February 03, 2016, 12:09 AM
artphanto
I have a similar problem-I replaced my old hard drive and restored eveything with SuperDuper-everything was great except my IPhoto is now missing. For whatever reason, I just have something called "Photos" that has all of my pictures-but IPhoto is not on my new hard drive! How can I get Iphoto back?
February 03, 2016, 05:43 AM
Jack Beckman
iPhoto was replaced by Photos. Depending on what version of the OS you are running, iPhoto is no longer supported.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

February 03, 2016, 04:37 PM
Mary Jo Disler
Does "Photos" have the basic editing / cropping features that Iphoto has?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
February 03, 2016, 11:32 PM
artphanto
Really? I didn't realize Photos replaced IPhoto! But it is such a dumbed down version-why would Apple do that! IPhoto did so much more!
February 04, 2016, 10:13 AM
Phyllis Evans
It actually does more than iPhoto, if you explore the edit features. I needed to do some selective recentering and cropping for a friend last month, and it was a snap with Photos. I was tearing my hair out trying to accomplish the same thing with Photoshop and Graphic Converter. It looks different, but they are trying to make it look and work like its iOS counterpart.
quote:
Originally posted by artphanto:
Really? I didn't realize Photos replaced IPhoto! But it is such a dumbed down version-why would Apple do that! IPhoto did so much more!

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans
February 05, 2016, 12:35 AM
artphanto
I will have to look at Photos better-Thanks Phyllis!

Natalie
February 05, 2016, 03:17 AM
Phyllis Evans
It took a bit of getting used to, but it really does a better job than iPhoto. Still ugly to look at, but at least it's not as bad as iTunes. That truly has gotten worse to use.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans