Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    .Mac Sync Services Down for over a Week!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.Mac Sync Services Down for over a Week!
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted
Hi, I'm posting this here so that in case any of you were having problems syncing data with .Mac you'd know why it wasn't working.

Last week I noticed that my Address Book got a little screwy. Missing some addresses, etc. So I reverted to a backup and decided to REPLACE what was on .Mac with what was on my Mac. Every attempt to sync FAILED. I gave up and decided that the server must be down and tried again for two days straight. Same errors.
I then went to the .Mac home page and looked at the status only to find that the service was indeed down and had been down for a while. It's still down a week later with no notice from Apple on what the problem is or when it will be fixed. Users are pretty hot about this especially since .Mac is a paid service. Being down for a day OK, being down for two days is frustrating, being down for a week with no explanation is unacceptable!

The outage seems to coincide with the release of 10.4.6 and many are speculating that is what broke it! It may also explain why it's taking so long to resolve.

My favorite quote from the many threads on this subject on the Apple .Mac forums: "Steve Jobs must not use .Mac syncing, or this would have been fixed in 24 hours!"

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
It's now marked as "up" on the network status. Hopefully, this means my syncing will work again...

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post