Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    movie formats for importing in imovie08 & cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

movie formats for importing in imovie08 & cameras
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
im confused. When i look at movie formats for ultra compact lower end cameras like Cannon SD790 & SD1200 uses .AVI, Kodak M1063 uses .mov, Nikon S220 uses .AVI.
the only info i found on apples site about imovie and video format supported is DV, MPEG-4, and some .MOV. So where does the .AVI come in??? I want to use ilife and make it as easy as possible when importing movies. Converting takes way too long and i take too many movies.
So will imovie 08 import .AVI movies? I like the cannons but if not im will to try another brand.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Apple has chosen to take the easy route with iMovie. Support a few formats (mainly QuickTime) and convert everything else to QuickTime!

So it's going to be difficult to buy a NEW camera (especially HD) that shoots in format that iMovie won't have to convert to QuickTime.

Your choices are going to be either stick with DV camcorders or shoot with a newer camera/HD and live with the conversion times or choose another editing app.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
i have learned from apple they have no list of cameras that imovie supports only a list of camcorders. Apple said the extention .AVI,.Mpg or .mov only is a wrapper and doesnt tell what coding is used inside. So the only thing they could tell me is Canons usually work for importing to imovie. I think this is all crazy because most cameras have movie features on them. AN its alot easier to use imovie when they go directy in and you dont have to convert. Well i bought a canon 790 elf and the files import right into my imovie 08 so im happy. Thanks for all the help.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post