Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Movies to iPOD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies to iPOD
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted
I have spent long hours adding songs and albums to my 5th generation iPOD with 80GB.

Now I would like to add some movies to be watched on a trip out of town.

Where do I start? What do I need?
I hadn't paid attention before because I never thought I would add movies to an iPOD. Never think never.

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Import them into iTunes. Click on Import in Help for details.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
I plan on downloading some movies from iTunes but I have some movies that have I recorded from Turner Classic Movie channel on DVD's.
Would I be able to install these DVD's to the iPod?
On my iPod I have used 24 GB on music.
How many movies would I be able to download on the remaining GB's?

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You will need to use a program such as Handbrake to rip the DVD into an iPod format and remove the copy protection. Here are the instructions. You take the resulting file and import it into iTunes.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Chris Doerner-McCary
posted Hide Post
Hi Elaine. I have roughly 40 GB of movies on Ipod. The average is about 2 hours 45 minutes per ONE GB memory from my experience on a standard mp4 file.

Example Lord of the Rings 3 hour movie equals 1.1 GB file MP4. Based on this rough example, you are able to place around 137.5 hours of mp4s for 50 remaining GBs on the ipod drive.

If one beholds the sublime in art - one can view Mac as an artform!

Posts: 141 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

Does movies have to be decrypted before I can use Handbrake? I can't seem to get the movies that I have recorded from TCM but have had success on other movies such as "The Heartbreak Kid".

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Did you record the TCM movies from a DVD set-top box? And if so have the DVDs been "finalized"?

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Handbrake will do the decryption.

Bibo's question is a good one though - how did you record the DVD?

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
Yes to Bibo

I recorded to DVD from TV and "finalized" which is required by my DVD recorder so the movie can be played on any player.

To make sure, I played the movie from TCM on this computer and it played.

Another thought:
Dual layer DVD's record well.
Regular DVD's are the ones that are not working.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elaine,

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
So what doesn't work when you rip this DVD?

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
So far with your suggestion, I have copied four movies that have been decrypted and with Handbrake and added to iTunes movies section but I cannot add the movies that were copied by me from my DVD recorder. I was wondering what I have done wrong.

Handbrake does not recognize the TCM movies.
I feel I should be happy that I can use Handbrake as those movies are newer.

My next step will be adding these movies to my iPOD and see if they will play. They do play in iTunes movies section.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If you look at these disks with the Finder, do they look different than a purchased DVD? Is the directory structure the same?

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of MaryG
posted Hide Post
Hi Elaine...I've used Visual Hub http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/ to do the exact same thing, without problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MaryG,

Posts: 190 | Location: Shelby Township, Michigan | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
Thanx MaryG for your suggestion.

In the meantime I want to know if it is normal for a movie through Handbrake to take three days (36 hours or more to mount) which ties up my computer for days although I have more computers is this normal?

I found out the reason my TCM movies were not responding is because I did not set the presets. Now I have set the presets I can record any thing that I like.

All is well except is it normal to take so long per movie?

This morning I restarted the computer thinking things would work faster, not that I am in a hurry. This did not help.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
What Mac are you using? How much memory do you have? These can have a big effect. Also, are you doing one pass or two?

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
iMAC G5 w/Tiger
2 GHZ DDR PowerPC
2 GB ram DDR

Every time(5 movies) I have used 2 passes.
One pass takes about 8 hours and the next pass takes 36 hours.
Restarting did not help. Now I am wondering if I have set something wrong.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You probably have the quality set way too high or have some other setting wrong. Are you using the Handbrake presets? Which one? You certainly don't need 2 passes if you are ripping for an iPod.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
The presets are:
General
Use iPOD/iTUNES friendly (.m4v)file extension for MP4.
Use Chapter Markers for MP4

Picture:
x264(iPOD) Reset picture width to 640

Advanced:
x264 Use CRF (instead of CQP)for Constant Quality encodes
Show verbose output in activity window (requires restart)

I feel the problem is I have set my presets wrong as I followed direction given by Handbrake and printed so I could follow.(A no brainer)

How do you people in the make pictures of the presets so I wouldn't have to type? I could have made pictures to show you.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You might consider moving up to Leopard if Handbrake is something you'll be using often. They have completely redone things with v 0.9.2, but it only runs on Leopard.

I don't have an older machine to go back to 0.9.1 on and look at those settings, maybe someone else here will chime in.

===

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Personally I've had nothing but grief trying Handbrake, which is why I went to FastDVDCopy (which costs money, although they have a trial download). I use that alone for DVDs and sometimes with Toast if I want to convert to other formats. I use Toast for Tivo transfers and converts also. I'm running 10.4.11 on a G4.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post