Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Apple Mail-printing nuisance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Mail-printing nuisance
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Nuisance, not a real problem:

If I save a text-only email, it is an .rtf file. No problem.

Sometimes I do this to adjust font size and print on one page, without a "tail" on 2nd page.

HOWEVER: A font size of 12 is teeny-tiny, not a normal 12-pt. Today I had to save at 18pt to fill one page, but the printout looks like (maybe) 10 pt. ?????????

This is nothing new. Just curious.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo, I'm assuming that you are opening the rtf file with TextEdit. Try opening one of the files with Pages or Word. I just tested it. A message that printed on 2 pages in Mail took 4 pages in TextEdit. The same file in Pages took 3 pages until I adjusted the margins and took it back to 2. Part of it was 11 pt. and part 12 pt., and printed out just fine.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
If I save a text-only email…

The mail app has a few built-in scaling features that might be causing the problem here.

Next time you print from Mail, look in the Print… dialog for three buttons:
• Scale message to fit
• Rewrap message to fit
• Keep the same apparent font size

As you click one or another of those buttons, the preview changes to show you how much of the page it will fill.

Does that help?

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post