Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Backing up Iphoto
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backing up Iphoto
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
I want to backup specific folders/albums of Iphoto but as i go to users , pictures ,iphoto library,,,I get the icon for Iphoto and not able to specifically grab an album,,is there a simple way to do this?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I also tried to grab a folder or even and individual pic from iphoto and send it to another laptop via Bonjour (didn't work),, of course it works well with jpegs off the desktop

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
No.

The problem is that an iPhoto album is just a section of an XML-formatted file. In fact, the pictures listed in the album do not have to exist in the iPhoto Library folder. And, if they do exist there, the file names may or may not resemble anything meaningful to you, since what you manipulate in iPhoto - keywords, ratings, albums) are just catalog entries and related metadata, not actual picture files (except when editing).

The reliable way to get pictures as image files from iTunes is to export as files. Then you have image files that both you and the Finder can understand, just like the jpegs off the desktop. See the export command in the File menu.

quote:
Originally posted by janp:
I want to backup specific folders/albums of Iphoto but as i go to users , pictures ,iphoto library,,,I get the icon for Iphoto and not able to specifically grab an album,,is there a simple way to do this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Earlier discussions on this topic have made it pretty clear that messing with or trying to figure out iPhoto's folder and filing system is not worth the effort.
I think the easiest way would be to select a photo, or group of photos in an album, and then simply Export it/them (under the "Share" menu in some versions, under "File" in others).
The Export options also let you determine if anything else needs to be done with the pic(s). You can export directly to a zip archive file, export as same or as different file types or sizes, export shots as a web page, or as a QuickTime™ movie.
Export a group of photos into a folder or a zip archive and send that along to the other machines on your local network, then stick those into iPhoto locally or use Preview to look at them. If you just want to view shots on another networked machine via Bonjour, you can enable iPhoto sharing. I think, however, you may need to be running the same version of iPhoto on all machines concerned.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
As iread these answers,,I am transferring the files via phot sharing to another computer.Will all the necessaty data come along wth the transfers,,,meaning are they the real jpg format pic not a copy