Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    automatic birthday reminders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

automatic birthday reminders
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
what is the best way to get an reminder to automatically pop up for bdays (anniversaries etc) about 3 days before the event?

I used to have this set up on a previous computer (using entourage) and it was very helpful. Is there an automated way to have this come up in ical using the bdays listed in there? Do I have to set an alarm for every bday individually? Can this be synched to other devices (.me?)

thanks

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Easiest way is simply to enter them yourself into the calendar. The "birthdays" integration with Address Book is useless IMO as you can't set alarms.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
In iCal, for any person who has a birthday entered (I added the field in that particular record)in the Address Book application. I get an alarm for the birthday, starting a week ahead until I dismiss it. I did not set this alarm. The program must do it automatically.

I did originally import a lot of contacts to iCal from my Palm, which did do birthday notification. But I think iCal does it for anyone with a birthday entry.I don't remember if I have entered anyone into Address Book with a birthday since I imported those entries from Palm.

Maybe someone can enter an Address Book entry with a birthday field as an experiment to see if they get an alarm. I do notice, in Address Book it only acceptsw the day and month, but not the year for the birthday, so it does not calculate the current age as Palm does.

Here is an image of what I have in iCal for the BD entry I just got a notice on. There is an alarm set for that event that has a repeat of yearly. I don't remembering setting that myself. It must have picked it up from Palm. If you put a new BD into iCal, you can set an alarm there, just like you can set any alarm for any event.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know how you got an alarm, because I gave up (maybe they added it with an update at some point after I gave up on it).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Here is an image of what I have in iCal for the BD entry I just got a notice on. There is an alarm set for that event that has a repeat of yearly. I don't remembering setting that myself. It must have picked it up from Palm. If you put a new BD into iCal, you can set an alarm there, just like you can set any alarm for any event.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
I'd like to know how you got an alarm, because I gave up (maybe they added it with an update at some point after I gave up on it).

In an entry that is a recurring-annual event, I have an alarm set of the type I want. I have been trying to send this reply with an attachment showing that iCal entry, but it does not seem to like the rtfd attachment. I don't think that reply went through. I hope this verbal description suffices.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
quote:

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
quote:

In an entry that is a recurring-annual event, I have an alarm set of the type I want. I have been trying to send this messasge with an attachment, but it does not seem to like the rtfd attachment. I don't think that reply wnet through.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Here's another try at sending en entry with a BD notification. This time it is a png.

iCal BD

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
This entry was automatically placed by adding the birthday in Address Book? My birthday entries from Address Book are al in a special "Birthday's" calendar, and yours is in "Home". Are you sure this is linked to Address Book? Also, my entries do not allow for alarms or edits, but do have a link to Address Book.

===

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I am not sure they are linked to Address Book. They may have been picked up from my Palm. they are all in my Home. I have not used Birthdays calendar. However, I just turned on Birthdays Calendar and set its color to red and I see some new entries that I know I had made only recently and had BD's in Address Book show up in ICal but there is no option to set an alarm for those types. So those alarms on my other ones must have been picked up from their Palm entries and stayed there, as I have not synced my Palm in over 2 years. So the only clue you have is a visual one when you are viewing the monthly calendar; for me red would be a good alert. I think if I saw one of those, I would add it as a Home entry instead or additionally so I could set an email alarm with some particular timing.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I have many birthdays entered in ical (from the birthday calendar coming from address book maybe?...I think some may have been transferred there from entourage) and I get no alarms.. This seems like something that should be obvious to set up.. so I must be missing something?

I set up address book with one spouse having all the info.. including anniversary.. and the other spouse having only the name and bday entered. Is this this the best setup? Is there a way to combine it to one card and keep both bdays for husband and wife? How does this transfer to ical with alarms?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like there is no way to add an alarm to the "birthdays" calendar.

quote:
I set up address book with one spouse having all the info.. including anniversary.. and the other spouse having only the name and bday entered. Is this this the best setup?

That's really your call as to what works best for you.

quote:
Is there a way to combine it to one card and keep both bdays for husband and wife? How does this transfer to ical with alarms?

You could use the "Merge selected cards" feature under the "cards" menu, but I have never done that with people with different names, so I don't know what you'll get.I suppose you could add a custom field for each birthday (you can't just use the "birthday" field - how will you tell them apart if there's two of them?), but as I mentioned, there is no way to get any of these fields to go into iCal with an alarm. You'll have to do that in iCal manually.

===

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I just set the ones from Address Book Birthday to red. That way, when I see any of those come up in the future, I can set them up in my Home calendar with an appropriate alert. I have a suspicion that if I were still syncing my Palm the alarm would carry over as well as the calculated age. I wonder if MarkSpace Palm sync does this?