Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Moving a playlist/songs from one computer to another?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving a playlist/songs from one computer to another?
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted
Before I do it my way, I thought I'd check here first to see "how you would do it?"

I have an iMac that serves as my iTunes jukebox/server. It has all of our songs, movies, etc. on it.

On my MacBook Pro I have a very small subset of just my favorite tunes.

There's a particular playlist on the iMac that I want to have on my MacBook Pro. Some of the songs contained in that playlist are on my MacBook Pro and some aren't.

How would you go about copying that playlist and the songs to the other computer without causing duplication?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I'm stunned! No takers on this one?
Usually there is a line of people trying to tell me a better way to do something. Smile
What's up MacGroup?

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
From the iTunes HELP menu:

Here are ways to archive or use playlists on another computer:

To archive a single playlist or use it in iTunes on another computer, select the playlist (below Playlists), choose File > Export, and then choose XML from the Format pop-up menu.

To save a copy of all your playlists, choose File > Export Library. The exported information is saved in XML format.

To import an iTunes playlist, choose File > Import. The imported playlist includes only songs and videos already in your iTunes library. Unavailable items are removed from the list.

The only person we trust to tell you what to do is Carla Big Grin

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I can't tell anyone until I figure out my own iTunes problems. TechTool Pro has been chugging along for the last 11+ hours trying to repair/rebuild my iTunes partition. I ordered the Disk Warrior upgrade tonight, something I should have done when it was released in January.

Update: 19 hours and it's only 90% done. Hope TTP doesn't pull a Norton on me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phyllis Evans,

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, that part I've got. However, it doesn't handle the problem of copying the songs over without duplicates.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
From the iTunes HELP menu:

Here are ways to archive or use playlists on another computer:

To archive a single playlist or use it in iTunes on another computer, select the playlist (below Playlists), choose File > Export, and then choose XML from the Format pop-up menu.

To save a copy of all your playlists, choose File > Export Library. The exported information is saved in XML format.

To import an iTunes playlist, choose File > Import. The imported playlist includes only songs and videos already in your iTunes library. Unavailable items are removed from the list.

The only person we trust to tell you what to do is Carla Big Grin

----

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I'm out of town, so not a lot of time to devote, but when I do this, I just connect to the other system via file sharing, use command-o in iTunes to look for music, and select what I want from the other system. If the music already exists in the same format and same name, I have noticed iTunes will not copy the duplicates.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post